Level or Not

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I finally got the tool to level the new-to-me lathe. I thought the level was close enough for hobby machine, but when I rested the level on the cross slide, I was surprised. The question, is this disparity something to worry about? Is this normal? is this adjustable?

The pictures tell the tales.

otgkjn.jpg
j7qm1j.jpg
121679w.jpg

TIA for your input.

otgkjn.jpg

j7qm1j.jpg

121679w.jpg

Looks like you are checking the top of the cross-slide on a surface where nothing slides. That doesn't matter. Check the ways at multiple points from one end of the bed to the other in both directions. That's what counts.

Looks like you are checking the top of the cross-slide on a surface where nothing slides. That doesn't matter. Check the ways at multiple points from one end of the bed to the other in both directions. That's what counts.

Thank you.

The checks across the ways all the way to the end of the apron travel limited by the TravAdial bracket look OK. Should I just ignore the reading on the cross slide? I was a curiosity, I thought it should be squared up with the ways as well.

The picture is the at the end of the apron travel.

10r1noj.jpg

10r1noj.jpg

Be sure you spin that level exactly 180 degrees to insure the reading is correct. I have the same level and it needs tweaking and checked on a surface plate nearly every time I use it.

I wouldn't level off the tops of the V ways. The carriage doesn't ride there, it rides on the angles. Level off the flat ways. Borrow a couple of Jo-blocks the same size and set them on the flat ways and then bridge the level across.

Thank you all for the input.

I sat the parallels on the flat ways and took the readings and yes, the level is off compared to the reading taken on the top of the V ways. Did not see the rest of y'all's responses till I was getting ready for bed, but I went ahead and to see if there would be difference in the readings between the top of the ways compared the flat ways.

It is getting late so I just rough level it closer to the chuck will finish the rest tomorrow.

Here is the set up and the 2 pictures showing the level with the level flipped 180.

21chwu9.jpg

i408yv.jpg

delpnr.jpg

21chwu9.jpg

i408yv.jpg

delpnr.jpg

If you haven't done so already, before you start doing any more leveling, check to see if your level is calibrated. I have that same level, some of those China ones aren't calibrated very well out the box. Be sure no heat has transfered to it from you hands. Take a reading then flip it 180, the reading should be exactly the same, if not it needs to be adjusted.

Back