Let's talk face mill insert code

Finster

Registered
Registered
Well, I got a cheapo import face mill with two different heads. One that takes the round inserts and one that takes the 85° parallelogram insert. Though I have used insert's many times back in the shop days, I never bought them. I just used what consumables they had. That being said, I'm a little confused about the coding. The 85° parallelogram is coded "AMPT1604PDER" That is easy enough to look up. I just google mill insert code and I can find a chart. The problem is there is more of the code. After that number it's coded "DP BP010" So the entire code is "AMPT1604PDER DP BP010" Anyone know what the "DP BP010" is all about? It's the same with the round inserts First code is "RPMW 1003 MO" Easy enough but the last part is "DP5320" No idea what this is about.

That's most likely the insert manufacturer's designation for carbide grade. That type of designation is not an industry standard so you will have to go to the insert manufacturer's website to see what type of metals & speeds/feeds those grades are recommended for.

That's most likely the insert manufacturer's designation for carbide grade. That type of designation is not an industry standard so you will have to go to the insert manufacturer's website to see what type of metals & speeds/feeds those grades are recommended for.
That makes sense. However, it's China crap so going to a website to find out what that code means is probably not going to happen but I will give it a try. Just from looking at e-bay, they are recommended for steel. That brings me to another question. I assume the rake or relief may not be correct for aluminum. Probably gum up the tooling. Any idea what I'm looking for with these inserts for aluminum code wise? I have seen some stamped M-2 I guess that is powered M-2 steel that has been made into an insert? That may work for aluminum since it had a fairly aggressive chip breaker molded into it.

With the China generic brands it's hard to determine. I tried looking them up once. It's seems that some of the brand names they use are just made up or something. I suspect they repackage someone else's inserts & put a different name on them. Of course I don't know, just speculating.

H01 is a common designation for aluminum specific inserts. Aluminum specific inserts are usually uncoated & have a high polished surface. The inserts also usually don't have molded cutting edges, the edges are ground to give them the super sharp edge.

I'm not familiar with AMPT & RPMW. I use similar looking inserts & have them in aluminum specific but they are APKT & RCGT. APMT & APKT interchange and RCMT & RCGT interchange.

I looked up AMPT. The second letter M would be the relief angle but the chart I look at doesn't list M. Are they for sure AMPT? APMT & APKT are vey popular milling inserts.

RPMW would be 11° relief angle. RCMT/RCGT is 7°. Other than that RCGT would probably fit but your face mill might have the insert seat set at a different angle for the RPMW inserts.

YEP, my bad. it's "APMT" I swear that I'm developing some form of dyslexia in my old age. However the rounds are RPMW for sure. So I can use APMT & APKT with that head huh? That's good to know, it gives me more options both in utility and price.

Ok, that's good. Yes APKT interchanges with APMT, as long as the size is the same of course.

Search APKT 1604 H01 on ebay & you should see a lot of listings for aluminum specific inserts.

Ok figured it out, you're in luck with the RPMW also. RPMT & RPGT interchange with RPMW.

Next search, RPGT 1003 H01.

By the way, where did you find this information? Have a link? I would like to read up on it a little.

Back