Length Of Bandsaw Blade

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
I've been trying to figure the length of bandsaw blade I need for the old (and never used by me) bandsaw. I wrapped a piece of twine around the pulleys and came up with a length of 62 inches. The blades I've seen are 64 1/2" long or less (but not 62"). Soldering my own is not an option currently.

Calculating the diameter of a 62" blade I come up with 19.735" equivalent diameter (62/pi =19.735" diameter) So if I use a 64 1/2" blade my adjustment on the band saw would need to have .795" adjustment still to use this blade. (64 1/2 / pi = 20.53 diameter).:confused 3: Or...have I got my head screwed on backwards and this won't work.:headache:

Someone confirm this and make me feel good. :agreed: :laughing:

Got a model of the saw? I use this place for mine: bandsawbladesdirect.com I order some for my Delta 3 wheeler on a Thursday, mid morning and they were on the doorstep the next Tuesday morning.

A 62" Lenox Neo-Type, .250" x .025", 24T runs $12.91 each 1-4 qty.

Measure the distance between axles to the nearest tenth and then measure the wheel radius. Blade length is going to be nominally (2*pi*r) + (2*d), where d is the axle distance, and making the assumption that both wheels are of the same diameter. If you have a 3 wheeler, it is a little more complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where was your tension adjustment set when you made the measurement?

Tension was set high but not all the adjustment was gone.

Moving the adjustable wheel shortens the blade length by 2x the movement. If I'm following you right. It's unlikely that a non standard, off-the-shelf blade would be needed.

mine is a 3 wheel craftsman ,62 " and i make my own, by bulk material and silver solder them together, do all material

112.JPG

Back