Lead Screw Hand Wheel

chip maker

Registered
Registered
May be an odd question but I have seen in a few articles where people have made and installed a hand wheel to the lead screw. I guess my question is what would be the reason of having this on your lathe? I have thought of this but don't know what the advantage this would have to move a carrage that slow but maybe I'm just over looking something that may be very useful for some reason. Would make one if there is really a good use for it.

I wonder if it is to give better, finer control of the long feed. Although one could achieve the same affect by using the compound.

David

Although I'm not interested, everytime I've seen this mod it was to make it easier to thread to a shoulder.

If turning to a shoulder were the reason, I would think it would be preferable to put the hand wheel on the spindle. The gearing cannot be disengaged while threading without losing registration and if the handwheel is on the leadscrew, it will reverse the backlash between the leadscrew and the spindle.

Good point. Well, then I don't know why they would do it. :)

The way I use mine is to position the carriage precisely to part off, cut a groove in the precise location etc. My machine has a 10 tpi lead screw and a dial on the lead screw hand wheel marked in .001" so it can be used just like the hand wheel on the cross slide.

Last edited:
The way I use mine is to position the carriage precisely to part off, cut a groove in the precise location etc. My machine has a 10 tpi lead screw and a dial on the lead screw hand wheel marked in .001" so it can be used just like the hand wheel on the cross slide.

That's what I used the leadscrew handwheel for on the Smithy Granite: fine adjustment.

By the last couple of replies guess there really is some thought as to maybe doing an upgrade. I now use the top slide to get these fine adjustments when facing. Still might be worth the effort to make the hand wheel. Could be something to make when not having anything else on the to do list. Thanks for the reply. As always someone on this site has the answer to questions !!!!

Back