LCD PM DRO info?

Red96

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Would anyone have any information regarding the new style DRO that PM is shipping with their mills this year? I contacted PM today asking about a user manual, but they are still in the process of writing it, then proofing before it gets released. My first DRO, so unfortunately I can't rely on prior experience to follow an intuitive process. If I knew the manufacturer, perhaps I could source something to help figure out some of the more simple functions. Appreciate any insight, thanks.

LCD-Calculator-Function-2-600x600.jpg

Attachments

• LCD-Calculator-Function-2-600x600.jpg
    LCD-Calculator-Function-2-600x600.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 46
Attached doc may help. I asked PM about the manual July 2022. While they didn't have it then, I asked for anything they had, finished or not. Attached is what they gave me. I cannot speak to the accuracy of this, since I don't have this unit. End up getting something different and wanted magnetic scales.

You'll want to rotate it in your pdf viewer.

Attachments

• PM LCD DRO Glass Scales Instruction Book.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
@skcncx, thank you very much. That is very helpful. I wonder why PM couldn't have at least offered this up when I inquired yesterday, for the interim while they finish what they are working on.

Much appreciated!

@skcncx, thank you very much. That is very helpful. I wonder why PM couldn't have at least offered this up when I inquired yesterday, for the interim while they finish what they are working on.

Much appreciated!
You're welcome. I didn't get it right away, asked a couple times. I understand they don't want to publish something unfinished that could be wrong/incomplete. But when you have nothing, anything (mostly true) helps.

You're welcome. I didn't get it right away, asked a couple times. I understand they don't want to publish something unfinished that could be wrong/incomplete. But when you have nothing, anything (mostly true) helps.
One would think they would finish the document before shipping the product. Completely backward, IMHO.

One would think they would finish the document before shipping the product. Completely backward, IMHO.

Yes and no, I suppose. In a perfect world, I'd have to agree. However, in that scenario, I would've received my mill with a DRO with 5 year old amenities, and I like the more intuitive system and graphics of the newer system, now that I've gotten 'a peek under the Kimono', so to speak. Some YT vids show the old interface and it seemed less user friendly to me being new to DRO's, so I'll not complain.

Thanks to @skcncx, I can start getting acquainted with the system while PM refines their manual. Surely it will be worth the wait, especially when you look at some of the shockingly abysmal manuals from some other brands, purportedly composed in some undecipherable form of 'english'.

(Some) car manufacturers routinely release new models before replacement parts and/or collision repair procedures have been written or crash-tested. Sometimes 2 years in, they are still not available. Now that should be a crime!

My case is a matter of convenience, while the latter is putting people's lives at stake.

Thank you to everyone, you're all what makes HM great. Love the dialog.

*Edit: typo

Last edited:
Would anyone have any information regarding the new style DRO that PM is shipping with their mills this year? I contacted PM today asking about a user manual, but they are still in the process of writing it, then proofing before it gets released. My first DRO, so unfortunately I can't rely on prior experience to follow an intuitive process. If I knew the manufacturer, perhaps I could source something to help figure out some of the more simple functions. Appreciate any insight, thanks.

View attachment 441066

I found these helpful, in some ways better than the manual. I have a ditron d80 and toauto , both lcd dro's.

DRO pros also have videos and the easson lcd dro es-12b is one of the best manuals '

Usually the basic angle drilling, bolt hole , line hole, arc processingj are a similar procedure on the dro with the lcd screen making it easier to visulaize.

I found these helpful, in some ways better than the manual.
Thank you for the links. You can bet I'll check them out. YT has been a great resource. Stumbled across a Blondihacks YT a year or so ago, and down the rabbit-hole I went. So many great resources; JoePie, Abom79, This old Tony, Inheritance Machining, and on and on.

Thanks to all for helping me spend my kids' inheritance.

Back