Lathe work holding ?

Wood is probably not the best test material for 3 jaw work holding. Any wood is quite soft compared to a metal object and the jaws simply deform the work under load. You will have better luck with a metal dowel being securely held as you describe. If you are still queasy about that arrangement, drop back to between centers with a drive dog in a face plate. Can't get away.
DanK

Wood is probably not the best test material for 3 jaw work holding. Any wood is quite soft compared to a metal object and the jaws simply deform the work under load. You will have better luck with a metal dowel being securely held as you describe. If you are still queasy about that arrangement, drop back to between centers with a drive dog in a face plate. Can't get away.
DanK
its more figuring out what I can do with what I have, theres a good number of projects that cant be done between centers (like the brain tingler one I am working on) but its also drilling, I dont have a table/bench that can take the the drill press I have and with the move funds are a bit shy at the moment (same reason I am not buying a 4 jaw chuck to handle a bit of this)

i have seen people use a bit of metal pipe to hold square things in a 3 jaw, anyone know if thats any good?

Back