[lathe] wholesale tools lathe question

churchjw

Active User
Registered
I have a wholesale tool lathe WT 13" x 40" Gap Bed Geared Head Lathe. The tailstock quill turns some when engaging the work. I know there is a set screw under the quill that is suppose to keep it from turning. If I get it tight enough to keep the quill from turning it wont move at all. Has anyone done any modification to the tailstock to help keep it from turning like this?

Jeff

I don't know anything about your machine, but I would remove the set screw and check it for wear. You may just need to replace the screw. I think I would also remove the quill and check if the keyway is worn. If it is you may need to make a larger keyway and insert a larger set screw.

Paul

That depends on what you mean by "The tailstock quill turns some ". My 50 year old Logan quill moves/turns a tiny bit, maybe 1/16" or so, and I've always assumed that was normal because if it was much tighter, it would probably bind when moving in and out. I hope someone with a newer lathe will correct me if wrong, but I have watched machining videos on you-tube and noticed their quills moving slightly also. Now if you are talking 1/4" or 3/8" or more, than I'd say something is wrong, but would still like to here from one of the "pros". Good luck, JR49

The turn is just 1/8th of a turn or less. I will check the key way and set screw for wear but it has always been this way. This may just be how these lathes are.

Jeff

Hi Jeff I don't know if this will help I have a Craftsman/Atlas lathe I put a longer set screw on and a nut on the bottom to lock it in place.
it took almost all the play out. thomas s

I took the tail stock apart and looked at the set screw that held the quill from turning. Man was it in bad shape. So I retapped the hole for a larger standard size set screw. I then made a new bolt with a better end. I also hardened the end of the set screw. Put in back in the tail stock and it made a world of difference. No longer shifts when engaging the drill in the work and it feeds much smoother.
100_9852.JPG

The one on the left is the new one and right is the original. You can see how messed up the end was on the original. I think it shipped from the factory like that.

Jeff

100_9852.JPG

Back