Lathe spindle work stop

Charles scozzari

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi, I made this adjustable work stop as an aid when doing work. The stop is inserted completely assembled, then secured with a pin into the spindle. With the thumbscrew you can set the stop to the desired depth needed. I removed the gear cover only to show how the pin locks into the spindle. There is now need to remove the cover to install the stop assembly. When the stop is retracted the chuck functions normally with no need to remove the stop from the spindle. I am working on a cover to shield the unit when in use. I also am making different sized adaptors for more conditions as shown in the last photo. Thank's for looking.42E0DECE-0D00-4C18-8BD2-DC78C3C42898.jpeg562C3161-17D1-4C1F-8008-800755ADD22D.jpegABA3375E-A0CE-410F-9473-0D746A6506B9.jpeg4FFA5DE8-EACD-4E7F-B8B6-BE13565A9D1C.jpeg96FF60B1-8D08-43E2-82DE-080C4424E964.jpeg91AFDD9E-8478-454C-A16B-24846C7E91DA.jpeg9D3ABAC2-F74E-42BA-ACEE-BCFAA14448D3.jpeg

Last edited:
I like this idea. Id like to make something like this for my ER40 chuck but i need to have a drawbar for it.

I like this idea. Id like to make something like this for my ER40 chuck but i need to have a drawbar for it.
I am going to do that next. The drawbar I made is 1018 cr with 5/8 x 11 TPI. The tube is 1" DOM, and the ends were pressed onto the DOM. tube. Thanks for your interest.

I need a metric drawbar but to drill through a bolt the length of the spindle could be a little tough. I ill have to see the thread and maybe make my own and with that somehow make a through hole for a stop. Id like something that i can change easy.

I need a metric drawbar but to drill through a bolt the length of the spindle could be a little tough. I ill have to see the thread and maybe make my own and with that somehow make a through hole for a stop. Id like something that i can change easy.
I really wanted to attach it to the threaded end of the spindle where the jam nuts are holding the spindle bearings, but I went with this set up because the end was more accessible. Drilling the hole was not bad, just started with a centering drill bit at very slow r.p.m. and then to 1/4". There's really no load on the spindle, so I feel hole shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried to find metric rod from any of the online suppliers? Thank's again.

Not yet. My issue is i need to drill about 6-8" deep
Is it possible to do something similar to what I did, by using a tube with ends to span the spindle and run the drawbar through it.

Center drill, screw machine bit, Long bit from McMaster-Carr. The first hole will guide the long bit. Then use the hole to turn between centers.

Is it possible to do something similar to what I did, by using a tube with ends to span the spindle and run the drawbar through it.
The chuck is a MT3 arbor. So i need to create some sort of spacer to maybe fit in the spindle with it. My plan is to then make a big washer and tighten it onto the back of the spindle opening by the gear train.

Back