**lathe Review Help Decision Asap***

kennyv

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys

First off let me introduce my self. . Little back round im an ole schooled class B machinist/ lathe hand. Worked on some big equipment a few NC CNC machines and some old clunkers that you wouldn't believe took metal off lol.. Been in machine field roughly 25 years. Started off working for a speed shop modifying race engines/ parts. Now I work for a private Co. doing modifications, prototypes for their product line.

Here is my situation I been researching bench top lathes for some time to do a few home hobby projects,( not super high tolerance ) but at least have some rigidity and thread functional capabilities. . Well finally broke the ice and bought a 8.5x15 LMS Sc4 lathe. Love the variable speed and motor torque . However I had a few issues right out of the box TOO MUCH TO LIST The main was the cross feed and carriage feed did not move /work . Had to pull the entire carriage assembly apart find / fix what was missing / broken . Well determined to do so I stayed up till 5 am the first night and repaired it . While I had it apart it made sense to dial in all the gibs, saddle carriage locks and the rest of the machines mechanical adjustments manufacturing blems.

Anyways there a a few other small issues on this machine so I may need return the lathe for others reasons of frozen sticky engagement of controls levers ect....

not sure if im expecting too much from a lathe this size/ type or should go bigger altogether.???

But thats not the predicament im in . . What Id like opinion on if I should just replace fix this 8.5x 16 Bench top or return the lathe altogether?? Perhaps get a 10x22 lathe . (I was considering a Precision Mathews 10x22 which has more rigidity,) with its weight / size including a 1” spindle bore geared head, , thread ,chasing dial and believe a forward reverse lead screw capabilities. without changing gears? Also an EnclosedOil Bath Lubricated Feed and ThreadGearbox.

I know if I get another china made lathe I will have to dial that one too as expected to do so.. However if iam gonna go through the trouble and upgrade fix flaws it mind as well worth the trouble if its capability are that much more than a 8.5x16 bench top.

What do you guys think I should do?

all Opinions comments welcome ?

Thanks Kenny V

Back