Lathe Oil Substitute?

Jerry Benjamin

Retired Army
Registered
Is any 10W oil suitable for use on/in my Atlas TH48 lathe? Can supertech power steering fluid be trusted for use on lathe?

where in the atlas? I used synthetic in the timken headstock bearings 5w20

Power steering (hydraulic) fluid's probably better than motor oil, motor oils have all kinds of additives you don't want in a lathe (they hold water/dirt in suspension with detergent additives, unless your lathe has pumped and filtered oil, some of the EP additives badly affect brass and bronze).

Dave H. (the other one)

Tractor fluid is also good, both napa and the local feed store should have it.

Brake fluid, and I think power steering fluid similarly are silicone based. I can't imagine that's good for a lathe.

I've used anything from hydraulic fluid (essentially plain oil with anti-wear additives) to motor oil (tons of additives) with no problems in plain bearing machines.

Just because an oil has additives doesn't make it bad. Engines operate for millions and millions of revolutions, on babbit bearings under high load and temperature everywhere you look. I tend to agree with the "If it's good enough for your engine it's good enough for a lathe" philosophy. But to each his own :)

I would recommend buying actual spindle oil for the spindle bearings, and if you have to buy hydraulic oil anyway just pick up a gallon of the real stuff. A gallon will last you years.

I don't get it. With easy availability of the correct manufacturer specified lubricant, why look for substitutes? I think almost any oil is better than no oil, but the manufacturers who have published a preference have specifically stated not to use detergent oil. Yes, IC engines have millions of revolutions, but the oil is filtered to remove suspended particles larger than the filter openings and the heat that the oil is subjected to drives off excess moisture. In a lathe no such filtration exists and the oil probably doesn't get warm enough to evaporate moisture. You want the particles to settle in the bottom of your gearbox, not bathe your bearings.
I'm guessing that the "oil thread" here is analogous to the "glue thread" amongst us rocketeers, a cherished debate that never really sways stalwart adherents from either side...

Do Atlas TH46's have oil sumps or are total loss systems? If total loss I'd imagine any metal particles from your bearings (which should be microscopic) would just run out.

Do Atlas TH46's have oil sumps or are total loss systems? If total loss I'd imagine any metal particles from your bearings (which should be microscopic) would just run out.
You're right, Andre. No sump for the Atlas lathes, but the drive shaft ball bearings are sealed, so might present a closed system. The Atlas Tech Bulletin #12, Lathe Lubrication in the Downloads section specifies SAE 20 wt. and does not specify not to use detergent oil:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/atlas-tech-bulletin-12-late-lube-chart-pdf.2926/

Here's what it says though in the SB How to Run a Lathe: ...be certain that machine oil is used, not automobile engine oil.
I have to admit, for a lathe with no sump it really makes no difference. The oil is replenished constantly.

Last edited:
You're right, Andre. No sump for the Atlas lathes, but the drive shaft ball bearings are sealed, so might present a closed system. The Atlas Tech Bulletin #12, Lathe Lubrication in the Downloads section specifies SAE 20 wt. and does not specify not to use detergent oil:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/atlas-tech-bulletin-12-late-lube-chart-pdf.2926/

Here's what it says though in the SB How to Run a Lathe: ...be certain that machine oil is used, not automobile engine oil.

My SB actually says that on the headstock pulley covers! :)

Mine is so worn out I'm not worried. Automotive oil probably would suffice, but I'm sure it wasn't as good in the 60's and SB probably wanted to sell you their own brand of oil.

Back