Lathe Newbie

Not to knock Precision Matthews, but you can get an AXA tool post kit with more holders for less money from other sources. I've put four or five Bostar AXA and BXA tool posts on lathes and they've been every bit as accurate/repeatable as the Aloris tool posts and tool holders I've got on two of my lathes. $155 for a tool post and 10 holders is hard to beat. People pay more for the PM and Phase II setups that are imported from China but I don't see any difference in quality.

I generally don't like the kits of tools and inserts and most are simply overpriced for what they are. Rather than drop $150+ on a kit PM is repackaging, I'd get something like the one below for $30. The common imported tools run $10-15 and packages of inserts are in the same range. Use a set like this a little bit and you'll have an idea if you need to add anything else. The $150 you can save with those two changes would cover other things like a threading tool and inserts, a cutoff tool/holder (I don't like the kind that gets packaged with the QCTP kits), more tool holders, extra inserts, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334515428472

I'll second this. There are numerous sets of tools like this available, some with boring bars, some with threading tools. Take your pick.

Hi all my Heros

I have very limited experience with a lathe so bear with me please. A friend gave me a Logan 820 from 1947. It has been siting for ~20 years. It was used for hobby use its whole life. Dirty but no rust. I am cleaning it up and learning how it is built. It has some minor issues. A few loose screws, missing screws, very small dings on the bed. What worries me most is the play in the Compound hand wheel and the same in the Saddle. Both are about .045". Is that normal? If not what is normal. Everything moves smoothly. No broken anything that I have found yet. Every thing seems to work as near as I can tell.

After cleaning it and oiling I am impressed by how smooth everything moves. No detectable wear on any gears, screws, bearings, or bed. The cross feed was not working. I U tubed for information. When I disassembled the apron the key locking the gear cross feed fell out. It was not in place. I replaced it and tightened up the handle to keep it in place. Reassembled the unit and it works. Not to happy with the way the key is retained.

What oil is used in the apron? How does one oil the quick change gears where the levers are?

The machine is missing the pully cover. I this a big deal? Should I try to get one?

A 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck were included. I disassembled them, cleaned, and greased them. They seem to show no wear that is obvious. I really do not yet know how good they are.

How important is it to obtain a follow rest and steady rest. Where from? I do not seem to get consistent information on which ones will work on my Logan 820.

How important is it to precision level this machine?

It came with KDK Tool post and a few tool holders. Not impressed with them. I am thinking of getting AXA style tool holder and associated tooling kit from PM. PM has a tooling kit that seems very complete. As a beginner I do not know what is really needed so this kit seems to cover all the bases for now. I have a PM932 with all the bells and whistles. I like it very much.

I received my 12" "precision level". The adjusting screw was not accessible because the plastic cover was blocking it. I broke the cover trying to get it off. It was glued on pretty well. I opened up the hole and glued the cover back on. the adjusting screw was so tight that it could not be turned. I took off the side cover and loosened the locking nuts. It can now be adjusted. It took me a lot of time to learn how to get it right. I leveled my lathe. Actually, I adjusted it for twist. I am new to all this so it took me a lot of time. I am wondering if this machine is so stiff that it may not be adjustable? Is that possible?

I have been playing with my 3-jaw chuck. It had runout at the chuck of .005" and at 3" out it was .008" runout. I took the chuck off and recleaned the mating surfaces and stoned it for high spots. I ran my finger into it and found some high spots on the jaws. I cleaned these off with a very fine paper. The runout is now .0015" at both locations. As an inexperienced person I do not know if this is reasonable?

ER32 chuck taper runout .001" at opening and 1" in.

ER32 chuck runout with 1/2" pin at chuck .0015"

ER32 chuck runout with 1/2" pin at 3.25" out .0025"

I am just learning the machine. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Looks like you have some good advice.
You have been a member since 2017 with less than 100 posts.
I for one, would really like to see some pics.
Also, we would love to hear from you more often!

As mentioned, you can still get parts from Logan. Scott Logan runs a group page as well...lots of good info there specific to Logans.

I suggest you use the machine. It sounds like you’ve done a great job getting things cleaned up, now just use it and only buy stuff when you need it for that next project. There is nothing really wrong with the KDK toolpost, try it for a while and you learn what works for you and the projects that you are interested in. There is an endless list of bits and pieces that you could purchase, if you have the cash, go for it. There are quite a few tools that I’ve purchased because they look like they would be really useful (in the correct application they are), but are still used waiting for that certain project to come along. I’m pretty sure I am not the only one here with a tool acquisition illness.

There are lots of views and opinions relating to various tool holder systems. The AXA is sometimes referred to as the Aloris style (that is one of the main manufacturers of this style - it is made by many other companies - most do a very good job). After ~30 years of duty, I changed my 4 way turret to a CXA wedge type (Phase II), I like being able to have a bunch of tools setup and ready to go and I don’t mind sacrificing a bit of rigidity. On my next QCTP purchase I went with a 40 position style - having used both, my preference is the 40p style.

You said that you were just getting started in lathe work and wanted to learn - go make chips and beautiful pieces. In the process, one of the things you will learn is what it is you should spend money on.

Last edited:
As mentioned, you can still get parts from Logan. Scott Logan runs a group page as well...lots of good info there specific to Logans.

Also the Logan Lathe Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LoganLathe

The original owner of the lathe that I have now had a Bostar QCTP on it and he’s very particular so I went with a Bostar combo set that included tool holders. As I started adding tool holders I went with Accusize. I had to make new adjustment nuts for some of the Bostar tool holders. The Accusize don’t cost much more but the quality seems much higher. The tool holding screws on the Accusize holders are very good and the overall quality is well worth a couple of bucks more, even when my Scottish ancestry shows through. Doing it over I would buy Accusize from the outset. Either brand is as accurate as the rest of the machine.

I have a kdk tool post on my Clausing 6300 and I like it. New tool holders are harder to find than the Aloris style. I would spend my money on other tooling for the time being and see how you like the kdk tool post. You can always change it later.

I went with Accusize. ......... the overall quality is well worth a couple of bucks more, even when my Scottish ancestry shows through. Doing it over I would buy Accusize from the outset.
The Accusize prices in the USA must be a lot better than in Canada. Here, they want $328 CAD+taxes+ $ 32 shipping charge for a total of $375 CAD for a AXA wedge toolpost, two regular 101 toolholders, a boring bar holder, a parting tool holder and a bump-style knurler.
https://accusizetools.com/collectio...l-post-sets-usa-style-wedge-type-6-piece-sets
It makes those eBay prices look very tempting! :)

The Accusize don’t cost much more but the quality seems much higher.
I've only seen a couple of Accusize tool posts in person, but I didn't notice anything suggesting the quality was "much higher"...slightly better finish was all I could see.

Things may have changed, but the price is actually much higher now. An Accusize AXA set with 7 holders is $268 on Amazon. The Bostar AXA set with 7 holders is $151 (with shipping) on eBay so you're talking an extra $107...not double, but 70% more.

Bostar sells 5-packs of AXA holders for $49 shipped...someone could buy the Bostar setup, get an additional ten holders and have $9 left.

I've had 30+ Bostar tool holders and none needed new nuts or set screws. I've also had maybe ten Shars brand that were fine as well...slightly better finish than Bostar and about what Phase II and Accusize seem to be for finish. I have seen people claim the set screws on import tool holders are soft, but I think at least some are using the wrong size allen wrench on them...most seem to be M8 rather than 5/16-18 used on Aloris.

I have 25+ Aloris tool holders, all bought used, and many had chewed up set screw heads that needed to be replaced as well. I think that happens because chips get in the socket and people won't clean them before they try sticking an allen wrench in them and they get chewed up. I doubt Aloris uses cheap set screws, but I guess it's possible.

I'm surprised by your comments about the KDK. They are excellent toolposts. The only thing that kept me away from them (back when they were in business) was the price. If you have enough toolholders to get you by, I'd suggest not running out and buying an Aloris / Dorian style toolpost. I, for one, really like the height adjust on a KDK - much less likely to be disturbed in handling, yet easy to set.

GsT

Back