[Newbie] Lathe getting started

Thanks, I will look more into your dro setup and others and see what options I have. I know what you mean about the care into a job as a owner of the machine and the care that employee puts into a job. I will see about adding one myself once I get things going.

Well, I got some good news, my dad has, or should I say had:p, a dail indicator with a magnetic base and c-frame outside micrometers 0-1",1-2",2-3", and 3-4", and I already have a 6" dail caliper that i have for reloading bullets.

Great news! That's $2-300 you can spend elsewhere.

Yep, the more stuff that I find in the garage the less i have to buy. I also have a set of No. 1-60 drill bits, i will search the name brand and see what kind of quality they are tomorrow.

Would this be a good book to get me started, http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3402 . I have read the manual that grizzly has for their 4003G lathe, and I am readinga boxford manual now that someone had posted before. I know they have this manual too, http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1744which I may get just for a refernce to look up certain things at the time of a certain project, but the home machinist handbook at about 280 pages I can read the whole thing, but I can't see myself reading 2800 pages.

Which books do yall think would be good to learn with. I also will probably get the southbend book too.

I am working on my list of tools to get for my first lathe. Most likely the PM1236 with preferred package.

What I have:

1. An old set of "The Central Tool Co." micrometers, 0-1", 0-2",2-3", and 3-4".
2. 6" Dail caliper
3. 76 piece metric and standard Snapon tap and die set. I need a tap wrench to work in the lathe though.
4. Snapon thread pitch gauges metric and standard.
5. #1-60 Drill bits.

What I think I need:

1. 2 or 3 more quick change tool holders (PM1236 comes with 5 wedge type holders)
2. HSS blanks, about 10 to start with. What size?
3. Belt/disc sander, instead of a round grinder that would give me a rounded surface.
4. 115 piece drill bit set (135 degree split point?)
5. Boring tools, what ones?
6. Knurling tool at later date.

What do yall think of my list, and anything else I need.

You really don't need to spend that much or your 1st lathe unless you need to make specific parts for that size. My 1st and only lathe is a south bend 9A 4 1/2' bed, I picked up for $400. I couldn't be happier. It does everything you mentioned and the learning process,tuning it up, making my own tools etc has been invaluable. You don't even need a QCTP, overrated IMO, just make a fixed size one for 1/4 and/or 5/16 HSS and grind your toolbits so the top is always at same height . I can change my toolbits faster than any QCTP with this setup. I've heard good things about www.plazamachinery.com and he always has some SB9's for under 1,000. Don't worry about a little bed wear, as long it it is "functional" it will be fine for most anything a HSM needs. Try to avoid change gears. Forget inserts, grind your own HSS - much more versitile and FUN!!! Buy tooling as you NEED it, almost any tooling can be made which is why we have a lathe in the first place.

PS: I just your "left to right" threading post and for the heck of it, I just made that part in about 10 mins on my SB9 - Needed a handle for my toolpost that was 5/16 tpi anyways (tapped, not single pointed)

Of course, if money is no object buy a Schaublin.

Good luck!

The Central Tool Co. micrometers are good ones, I used them for years, then got Mitutoyo. Also, I agree with the note about Joe Bergamo at Plaza Machinery. I have been in his place of business, bought from him with great results. He knows machine tools and parts very well. I would suggest a center gage, depth micrometer, good steel rules, a good bench or pedestal grinder with good wheels. I'm not real crazy about belt sanders for sharpening lathe tools although some really like them. As to tool bit sizes, your tool holders are probably made to use 3/8th inch. You can use smaller ones by using shims under them if there isn't enough adjustment in the height. Boring bars are available in many styles, you might go with the type that uses square tool bits to start with as they are less expensive than insert type.

Back