[Newbie] Lathe getting started

I do not want to buy a used lathe without looking at it. I was told told to talk to this one guy in my area before i buy a chinese lathe, i will try to talk to him sometime next week. I also don't want to buy a small starter lathe and tham have to buy another one later on.

I seen these lathes the other day, http://www.optimummachines.com/ http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/engine-lathes/machinery/machining/ecatalog/N-crg . What do yall know about these? Grainger has the country of orign as chinese, buy the optimum website says Germany. Grainger has the D282x700 for $3,366, which is really the most i can spend at this time, but, the D280x700 (11x27) is only 1.5hp is that enough. They have the 12x36, but it is only 115v for some reason, and it is $4,850.

Enough for what? Its hard to recommend a machine without knowing your requirements. What is the max diameter you will need to turn? Production or hobby use? Spindle thru hole size req'd? Nasa grade parts or HSM grade? Based on your description, thus far, a Sherline or Taig may well do.

Enough for what? Its hard to recommend a machine without knowing your requirements. What is the max diameter you will need to turn? Production or hobby use? Spindle thru hole size req'd? Nasa grade parts or HSM grade? Based on your description, thus far, a Sherline or Taig may well do.

I need to be able to turn anything from 1/4" to 6-8" od. It will be for hobby now, but may start doing a little lathe work on the side, than get a mill when i can. I may need to make 50-150 of the shaft adaptors that I asked about in my other thread. I also have a tool that i want to make out of about 2" od steel round bar, about 12" long, and just some random parts and tools that i want.

Let me clarify what I said about Plaza Machinery. I am not suggesting that anyone buy a used machine without looking at it in person. I wouldn't even buy a new one without seeing it. What I should have said is that they have a huge stock of new and used measuring tools, parts, and accessories at good prices, including some very hard-to-find items. And, no, I don't have anything to do with his business.:))

Let me clarify what I said about Plaza Machinery. I am not suggesting that anyone buy a used machine without looking at it in person. I wouldn't even buy a new one without seeing it. What I should have said is that they have a huge stock of new and used measuring tools, parts, and accessories at good prices, including some very hard-to-find items. And, no, I don't have anything to do with his business.:))

I don't mean to talk bad about Plaza Machinery or about anyone that suggest them, I just am not going to go more than a few hours from my house for a lathe. I will probably buy a new lathe without looking at it, but i am not going to buy a used lathe even if it is only 2 months old without looking at it no matter what. I did not know they sold new stuff, i may look into the new stuff they sell, but not the old sorry I am not going to travel a long ways for a used lathe.

stupid ?

what does IMHO mean IHO not in my dictionary or WNTb lets talk in engish.
where is all this comptuor talk come from. WMF? I give up. I' imagine M, maybe
made, F, Ford no clue. wtb no clue speak wmns no clue . sorrey just old man
would be easy just to say I need to know and IMHO no clue. Kids Kids
just speak in english for us old people visit me 20 cen. stuff the way its made
1940 that aint all --we did won the war

Last edited:
so that means if I use acronyms we can"t be B.F.F. ? L.O.L.!

Back