Lathe cutting tools for plastics etc

ejames

Active User
Registered
What type of cutting tools-HSS,carbide etc are best for working acrylics,delrin etc.? I bought a set of those cheap carbide tipped tools but haven't had much luck with them in any material. Also should a lubricant be used when cutting plastics etc? Thanks,Ed.

Hss is good for plastic as you can grind the optimum angles for that stuff. Those cheap carbide tools aren't worth a damn until they have been sharpened on a diamond wheel. Then they become marginal at best.

John

Just to copy what was already said. I cut a lot of plastics and HSS is the only way to go. Make sharp rake and relief angles and hone the cutter after grinding with a fine stone. Sharpness makes all the difference.

Jeff

Jeff - any chance you can post some pics of the HSS tool(s) you use and give some examples of the angles you use?

I will try to take some pics this weekend and post. I have not had good luck with real close up shots.

Jeff

Thanks Gents! HSS tools will go on my list of tools I need to buy.
I am a complete newb at this,but it didn't take me long to figure out that the carbide tipped cutting tools I bought are junk. I don't have the correct wheel to sharpen them.

This is the set I bought. The main problem seems to be that they are not sharpened very good. Edges are rough on some of them. I don't have the correct wheel to do a good job of sharpening them yet.

http://www.micromark.com/11-piece-Carbide-Cutter-Set-5and16-Inch-Shank,8072.html

They're an exact copy of the Harbor Freight sets. HF sells them as a 5 piece set and a separate 6 piece set.

Out of the box, they're nearly useless. I brought my set into work and did 'em up right with the diamond wheel. They did cut OK after that, but the carbide they used is VERY brittle and didn't hold up.

John

I will look for some HSS tooling.And a diamond wheel for my grinder. About the hardest material I will be working with is brass that I use for the tips of the tampers I make.

Ok dug around and found a cutter I had used on plastic. It needs a little work on a 2400 stone before cutting on plastic again. I have no idea of the angle. I grind all of my cutters free hand so I just go by what looks right.

100_6718.JPG100_6719.JPG100_6721.JPG

These are the best I could do for pictures. The short of it is you want a knife edge with as much angle as you feel comfortable with and a mirror finish. On the bright side I have never broken a tool on plastic. This is .375 square tool steel for scale in the pictures. Hope this helps.

Jeff

100_6718.JPG 100_6719.JPG 100_6720.JPG 100_6721.JPG

Back