Lathe Chuck Stop / Spacers

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Anyone know where to get some of these for a small lathe 10 x 22 that don't cost an arm and a leg :) 0009752-11.jpg

I turned a 3mt then drilled and tapped it for a 1/2-20 rod that I can adjust in and out. You can make larger diameter ends for the rod if needed. I've been going to make one like your pictures for larger diameters but the one I have works fine up to 3" diameter or so.

I've seen this question at a few places, most have made something themselves or bored soft jaws.

Poor man's solution - rare earth magnets. Can be used (and stacked as needed) on either the jaws or the face of the chuck. NOT as precise as the high dollar spiders, but you can check the height of each one and sort for a matching set. The ones shown are 8mm diameter, 8mm tall, cheaply acquired thru eBay.
kHPIM3693.jpg kHPIM3684.jpg
PS - Yes, for you sharp-eyed readers, I've posted this previously.

Last edited:
I may have posted this as well. For larger chucks I only use 4 independent. I made this spider out of aluminum and then made some accurate spacers to screw onto the chuck face side for different depths.

spider with spacers.jpg spacers.jpg

David

Poor man's solution - rare earth magnets. Can be used (and stacked as needed) on either the jaws or the face of the chuck. NOT as precise as the high dollar spiders, but you can check the height of each one and sort for a matching set. The ones shown are 8mm diameter, 8mm tall, cheaply acquired thru eBay.
View attachment 124463 View attachment 124464
PS - Yes, for you sharp-eyed readers, I've posted this previously.

If you have a surface grinder they could be made as accurate as offshore gauge blocks.

Back