Lathe Center Lubrication

Use a high nickle anti-seize compound.

Randy

If you're talking about a live center, many folks might not realize there's a screw at end of the taper which can be removed as an oil inlet. I usually use a couple squirts of hydraulic oil.

Ray

What lube do I use in a lathe center?

Talking about a dead center I think. Doesn't move. Really new to machining so I think that's what it's called.

White lead used to be the old standard. I bought the very last can at the paint dealer in the 70's,though. Messy stuff,though. It would melt and run a bit when hot and invariably get on the hands,which wasn't the best thing!! I just use live centers now.

Gotcha. A live center looks similar to a drill chuck and has a fixed, heavy bearing mechanism allowing the point to rotate with the part. A regular center (often called a dead center) is just a pointed piece of steel and often has a carbide tip. I mainly use live centers and only use dead centers when there's not enough room to make the cut because the bearing housing gets in the way.

Ray

Talking about a dead center I think. Doesn't move. Really new to machining so I think that's what it's called.

I still have a can of white lead I use. No more than i use dead centers, I dont think ill ever use it all.

I use STP oil treatment. All you need is a drop or two. Works great! Stays put.

John

I use automotive wheel bearing grease. It will not melt and stays in place pretty well. Works for me.

Bill

Back