Laser edge finder for peanuts

I picked up the materials for the sodium bisulphate method but have not actually had anything to try to anodize. I have been mostly been working with steel until this latest ball turner project I have been working on. I also picked up one of those cheap craftsman powdercoating systems but have not bought a toaster oven or powder yet.

So many projects, so little time.

After looking this whole thread over I want to apologize to "spikec" if I have hijacked his thread. I did not mean to pull it off topic.
On topic I have ordered some laser modules and want to pursue some of the ideas in using them on machines. Once I have worked on this I will let everyone know what I have come up with good or bad. I seem to have lots of good ideas but they never workout like I hope they will. I guess experimenting is the only way to find out.
Ed

Ed, no apologies necessary -- you got me fired up to finally learn to anodyze. The laser project was so simple I had to think twice about posting it. Besides, I'm an old guy and nothing bothers me anymore...

After looking this whole thread over I want to apologize to "spikec" if I have hijacked his thread. I did not mean to pull it off topic.
On topic I have ordered some laser modules and want to pursue some of the ideas in using them on machines. Once I have worked on this I will let everyone know what I have come up with good or bad. I seem to have lots of good ideas but they never workout like I hope they will. I guess experimenting is the only way to find out.
Ed

Have seen Dan Gelbart's video series? He has a QUILL MOUNT center finder on his mill. I have been trying to find plans for his laser center finder, but no joy. I really like the idea of a quill month over a spindle mount (quick checks with tool still mounted). Also, John Norman has an adaptation of Dan's idea on you tube.

Neat idea and definitely in my price range. How did you insure the laser was true to the spindle bore?

Neat idea and definitely in my price range. How did you insure the laser was true to the spindle bore?

Well, we did our best to, but I really didn't have a way to gnat's ass it other than "yep, that looks about right!" Seems pretty accurate, but then again I'm not building rocket valves ;-)

It's a good idea, if you ever NEED to find the edge of a peanut......................Seriously though It is also on my list of projects, and as someone above has mentioned, so is Dan Gelberts rotating centre finder. Thanks for the post.
Phil
UK

Slicker than glass. I like it and I could go ahead and make the shank MT2 and have a really nice tool setup quickly. Thanks for the parts list and idea!!!
Bob

Nice, time for an ole codger to get with it, it wont be long before the safety Nazis classify cigarette paper as asbestos or lead??
why? guess I'm just to lazy to stick a center finder up there but its a 100 yr old method that works......................

sam

ah oh, laser in the shop with a shop cat; that will be interesting !

Back