Large Rotary Table Refurbish

Thanks for the thumbs up. I don't know the weight exactly but its far more than I can lift. Its one of those things you would swear is glued to the floor when you grab hold of it. I was at an auction some years back. A LARGE tool shop went out and they sold everything off. It was a give away really. I got this table and another larger one for 20 dollars. My poor truck was loaded down coming home.

So I have added some pics here to show the project so far. Let me say up front I am sorry for the pic quality. I was using my cell phone and got some blurry pics.

#1 This is pretty much how it has looked for several years laying about my shop. I you look to the right behind the dial you will see a broken casting piece. I have the piece that broke off. I broke it one day when I was moving it and it bumped against another heavier rotary table. I guess something has to give. It really burns when its your own fault. LOL. I have repaired the break and will make another post of it if anyone is interested.

I got my shaper home and cracked half the belt housing off all on my own! It happens.

#8 Bottom of top casting with paint on. I always paint all surfaces that aren't normally seen bright red. I have been asked why several times. I guess there is no practical purpose. Its a signature move I suppose.

I think that's a great method. I think it would help if you were ever troubleshooting a machine and wanted to know what you were looking into- you ok'd then know where you are looking! It would be red!

Bernie

#8 Bottom of top casting with paint on. I always paint all surfaces that aren't normally seen bright red. I have been asked why several times. I guess there is no practical purpose. Its a signature move I suppose.
I do the same also but the color may not be red.
This is where I stopped about 6 months ago and haven't painted the inside yet.

12inRT1.jpg

12inRT2.jpg

12inRT1.jpg

12inRT2.jpg

Maxx Thats gonna be really nice table.... hope to see more of it as it get done. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Bernie.... Its a horrible feeling when you break a casting. Especially if its a break that you know you cant fix. I was lucky on this one and was able to jig it and braze it. Thanks for the comment...

Glmphoto, does yours have any bushing like the brass/bronze one mine has?
Yours looks like cast on cast.
BTW, mine is adjustable.
Mine also has/had 30+ years of crud on it from the professional machine shop I got it from.

This is the fix for the casting I broke. If anyone has suggestions for better methods I am all ears.

1 This is the broken part. It was a clean break so its different than a crack. A crack suggests the pieces haven't lost there relationship to one another. A break is another ball game. This is the lever that brings the worm into mesh with the wheel gear.

2 This is the jig I made to hold the parts during brazing. Turned a slip fit for the large bore on a piece of scrap. Held the 2 parts together at the fracture line, Measured, scratched head, eyeballed, measured again, then cross drilled for a stake and made a clamp bolt hole. Gotta be able to get the part off the jig after Brazing right? LOL
Turned a small shoulder on the stake and threaded the end.

3 Now the small piece is captive on the stake. The large piece is captive on the body and they can be moved about to get alignment then locked in place.

4 Alignment looks good to me.

5 The crack is ground away and it becomes apparent why the jig is needed.

6 Parts brazed. I did loosen the clamp bolt completely on the large bore because I was afraid if the jig expanded from heat it might crack the cast.

7 and 8 After a little blending I think some paint will hide my sins.

Thanks guys

1 The broken part.jpg 2 The jig.jpg 3 Loading the Part.jpg 4 Good alignment on crack.jpg 5 Crack ground out.JPG 6 Brazed.JPG 7 Done 1.jpg 8 Done 2.jpg

Interesting fix.
One thing I would have done different would have been to drill to install 2 pins first but from the looks you still could do it if strength might be an issue.

Glmphoto, does yours have any bushing like the brass/bronze one mine has?
Yours looks like cast on cast.
BTW, mine is adjustable.
Mine also has/had 30+ years of crud on it from the professional machine shop I got it from.

Sorry I didnt see this question earlier...... Yes Mine is cast on cast. A very nice fit as well.

Yours???

- - - Updated - - -

Maxx....Also I like the way your table can be set up on edge like a dividing head. Very nice

Sorry I didnt see this question earlier...... Yes Mine is cast on cast. A very nice fit as well.

Yours???

- - - Updated - - -

Maxx....Also I like the way your table can be set up on edge like a dividing head. Very nice
If you look just above the edge of the ruler you can see mine has an adjustable bushing/bearing.

I'm getting closer to being done with harvest here so I may actually find some time to get back on mine soon.
It's taking up too much of my work space as it is being in pieces. :lmao:

If you look just above the edge of the ruler you can see mine has an adjustable bushing/bearing.

I'm getting closer to being done with harvest here so I may actually find some time to get back on mine soon.
It's taking up too much of my work space as it is being in pieces. :lmao:

I see the bushing. Very nice. I am not familiar with an adjustable bushing. by what means does it adjust?

Back