large capacity mini lathe steady rest

yep. been looking at the sieg sc8. not too expensive and is supposed to be pretty good.

but i think a better mill is more urgent. my x2 is crap.

I'm not sure how the bedways are constructed on your lathe but is it an option to push your steady with the saddle and use a boring head right on the lathe, it will give you the main through hole perfectly positioned and you can use the power feed...!:thinking:

This can work well. I rebuilt the tail stock on my 7x14. Aligned the ram with the spindle bore using 4-40 jack screws driven into the base. Then epoxied the two parts together and doweled them after the epoxy cured. Then sleeved the bore and bored it out to fit the stock ram. Had just enough bed length to do it, and I'm happy with the result. I did spend a lot of time beforehand manually sanding the clamping surfaces parallel to the lathe axis to provide for smooth, shake-free tail stock motion along the lathe bed during the boring operation. Mounted the stock tool turret on the compound and used it to push the tail stock toward the head stock with power feed during the boring operation.Give it a go!

Back