Lapping small diameter holes

Fritz D

Registered
Registered
I'm hoping I can get some information re lapping small diameter holes. I would like to try making a few dies to re-size cast lead bullets (approximately .002"-.003" smaller than their as cast size). The bullets are sized by pushing them through a die, approximately 1.5" in length, with an appropriately sized hole. The die I would like to make first will need a hole .270" in diameter. I will be using a small lathe to make the die, using mild steel.

I've made a few dies before, drilling the hole with the closest sized drill, then smoothing/enlarging the hole with abrasive cloth. I have not had much luck getting the right size hole with this method. I've discovered “barrel laps” on the internet and it seems to me like this might be the right tool for a job like this. I would really appreciate any information on how to use barrel laps, what grade of abrasive, etc. I would welcome any other tips for making a part like this.

.270 cast bullets are .277 - .278 in diameter. Tons of great info on CastBoolits.com.

Last edited:
OldMachinist . . . thanks for the links. The "how-to" info is exactly what I was trying to find.

Ranch23 . . . the bullets I'm sizing are for a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser with a groove diameter of .267". I'm already a member of CastBoolits.com, but thanks anyway for the tip.

A book from 1907 with info on lapping and lap making as linked on my site ( http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/Lapping.html ). Also see the link to Rollie Gaucher's info on laps.

Best to get the hole only a couple thou under size so all you're doing with the lap is removing tool marks - lapping solid metal is a very slow process.

No need to order a commercial lap and wait for delivery, it's usually possible to make one from scrap. Aluminum works OK as a lap, wasn't cheap in 1907; brass is good but more expensive. WD40 is a decent lubricant. If you have a worn out aluminum oxide grinding wheel, break it and rub the pieces together to produce grit, not much is needed.

John

GadgetBuilder . . . I'm all for homemade tooling. Thanks for the information. :thumbsup:

Dear Person

Lap a lot of holes ... just finish doing 12 off .250" and 6 off .3125" dia holes .0002" tolerance through 25 mm plate ... had about .002" to .004" to take out ... took about 2 hours to do the lot.
Use commercial barrel laps ... 360 to 500 grit ... 300 rpm ... use kero ... lap must be adjusted slightly tight in hole but not too tight as it will heat up and then lock up ... if you run it too loose in the hole it wil end up bellmouthed ... it is nealy one of those things that you have to learn by experiece ... 58 yrs in my case.
It is easier to lap harden material than soft ... soft takes longer.
Small to me is 1 mm dia.

Batt

Last edited:
Back