Lantern Vs. Quick Change Tool Posts

Reuben Bailey

Registered
Registered
So, knowing that QCTP's are good for just that - quick changes in tooling on a lathe - is there anything that a lantern style tool post does better than a QC? Once I do aquire a QC, is it worth holding on to the lantern for any reason other than to keep the original equipment with the lathe?

An Armstrong holder on a lantern post supposedly is better for reaching into some awkward spots. I've never actually used mine for that, though.

Depending on the size of your machine and what you're doing, the lantern post may allow you to sneak into tight quarters to get a cut better than a quick-change will. I'm sure there are ways around it, but it's a handy thing to have in your back pocket for when you do need it.

-frank

mine became dust collectors they can be a pain to setup if your doing many operations and tool changes. I keep mine around to use the 1/4" tooling I have ground

Sold mine before my quicks even showed up...

Keep your lantern style, I ordered my lathe with a qctp, (it came with a 4 way), I need to cut an acme thread and use the follower rest. The qctp didn't work so well with the follower rest. I will try to find a lantern tool post, I think I might have an old armstrong around some where.

both lantern and qctp can have advantages in given set ups.
i have only had a couple of instances where i had to switch back from my qctp toolposts
i'd keep them both if you have the space.
there ain't much worse than sellin' something six months ago, that you need today. :mad:

Back