Labelling Control Boxes and the like

DavidL

Active User
Registered
I'm seeking ideas on the best way to create decal labels for the front panels of machine control boxes. I have mechanised my table top micro mill (Seig X1) with a table drive and a vertical head drive. I have built a nice looking control box and would like to finish it off with some profesional looking labels for the operating switches etc.
All ideas welcome.
DavidL

Well, depends on your definition of professional. Geez, we label telecomm equipment with a Brother P-touch and it looks fine to me. I picked up a cheap labeler at Staples years ago and still use it. Anything looks better than my chicken scratch handwriting (as my Dad used to call it). :)

I'm seeking ideas on the best way to create decal labels for the front panels of machine control boxes. I have mechanised my table top micro mill (Seig X1) with a table drive and a vertical head drive. I have built a nice looking control box and would like to finish it off with some profesional looking labels for the operating switches etc.
All ideas welcome.
DavidL

One idea is to go the the local engraving shop and have the tags made. Like plastic name tags with double sided tape on them.

I have also made switch tags on a printer using clear Mylar mailing labels with the sticky back. A trip to the local office supply might be worth it. You can get all kinds of printable plastic labeling stuff.

A very professional looking control panel is actually available t your specific design requirements. The company will give you free software to design it and you submit the design and here comes a perfect panel. The company is called Front panel designer and they even have a new update on their software available now too. You can choose colors type style and font as well as layout and location of everything you wish to include. Have a look and if you have any difficulty locating the software and company PM me and I will link you to it.

Bob

I used to make test fixtures. I'd draw the panel layout and add the labels in the drawing on another layer. I included center points for drilled or punched holes. I would print the drawing on 8-1/2 x 11 adhesive backed stock, which comes in many colors, including plain white. With the CAD program, you could add colored back grounds, outlines, whatever you could draw. Once drawn, I would use a hot laminater to laminate only the face of the material. (you can also get self adhesive laminating sheets) Cut it out and apply it to the panel and use the center marks and outlines to cut, drill and punch the holes for perfect alignment. The labels can be a plain or as fancy as you like. Rather than using the self adhesive paper, you could also use plain paper and hold it to the panel with a thin piece of Lexan and small screws for a more durable and oil and dirt resistant label. I'll see if I still have some photos of one of my fixtures. and post one if I do.

If you search on the Internet for "Label Maker" you'll find nice units, many in the 30-$40 price range. These are quite nice but I recommend getting one that uses a common type of refill. It's also nice to have a unit that will give different size fonts and also print symbols -especially arrows.

I have one made by "Brother" and it will print letters horizontally and vertically. I think it was about 50 bucks. Once I stick a label into position, I cover it with a slightly larger piece of heavy duty cellophane tape to protect it from wearing out. Works very well for my purposes... I don't use it much but is really nice to have when you need it.

Ray

If you search on the Internet for "Label Maker" you'll find nice units, many in the 30-$40 price range. These are quite nice but I recommend getting one that uses a common type of refill. It's also nice to have a unit that will give different size fonts and also print symbols -especially arrows.

I have one made by "Brother" and it will print letters horizontally and vertically. I think it was about 50 bucks. Once I stick a label into position, I cover it with a slightly larger piece of heavy duty cellophane tape to protect it from wearing out. Works very well for my purposes... I don't use it much but is really nice to have when you need it.

Ray
I have a couple of these Brother label makers. They seem to be the industry standard and cartridges are available for them just about anywhere. I use a white plastic tape that seems to hold up very well and sticks well to a clean surface. I use it to label my tool box drawers( there are many) and to label my parts and bolts drawers, and just about anything else that needs a label. A big :thumbzup3: for this.

On wood I use paper labels stuck on with varathane and painted over with a couple of coats of varathane. I have made more durable plates by etching on printed circuit board. Stickey labels with a clear plastic cover is an idea I have toyed with but never tried.

It might not be exactly what you had in mind, but here's what I did in my shop for the breaker panel and all the outlets. The labels were made with a Brother P-touch label maker.

20140602_220259_zpske3onnw9.jpg

20140602_220400_zpsa4fksqiq.jpg

Back