L.S. Starrett 8" level

I found the source of the precision level vials;
http://wamoyer.com/

W.A. Moyer Company - Spirit Level Vials

wamoyer.com

over the years, the w.a. moyer name has become synonymous with the ultimate in quality in the manufacture of tubular glass level vials. continuous research provides ...

Moyer quotes a typical sensitivity of 30 min. of arc for their vials. This works out to about .1"/ft. A machinist's level will have a sensitivity of .005"/ft. and .0005"/ft. for the more sensitive levels.

thanks Jay, i just put in my order with the link you provided.
Dan

I went to Starrett's webpage and looked at their levels.

It turns out that the different length 98 class levels have different level vials. The 98-8 uses a 15025-0 (3-1/8" x 17/32") vial or PT99431 vial assembly. The Amazon offering is a 15024 (3-5/8" x 5/8") vial which apparently fits the 98-12 level.

The Amazon offering is a 15024 (3-5/8" x 5/8") vial which apparently fits the 98-12 level.
DANG ! it should be here in a few days.... last night i disassembled my level in preparation for the " blessed event ".
thanks for the heads up RJ, i am now prepared for disappointment :[

DANG ! it should be here in a few days.... last night i disassembled my level in preparation for the " blessed event ".
thanks for the heads up RJ, i am now prepared for disappointment :[
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Perhaps you can make a modified holder for the vial. It is only 3/32" larger in diameter and 1/2" longer as I recall.

Modifying the holder and or vial sounds simple, but is not worth the task. You want the vial to fit as close as possible the holders window. This is for appearance and also so the plaster doesn’t leak out and is not seen when you are done. Just get the correct vial.

Back