Kurt Style 4 Spoke Vice Speed Handle

Very well executed Mark, and awesome looking result. Thanks for sharing.

Great job Mark. Now that you’ve had some time with your new lathe, I’d love to hear some commentary about how it differs from your PM-1340GT.

Hi Terry, the plate was wedged down against the vise, the other end I had two stops and a finger in the center pressing down on the plate to anchor it down. the 123 blocks were there to temporary hold the plate up until I got the angle needed and locked the position at the other end. If I needed a steeper angle I could bolt a block to the plate and then hold the block in the vise and tilt the plate. The rotary table at 130 lbs wasn't going anywhere with just the downward force drilling the holes. I wish I had a sine plate or something like a BS-1 tilting head, but it is very infrequent that I would use it and they have gone up in cost. I am also space limited. I have some additional aluminum plate, I may add a 2nd plate with a sine plate type hinge and a mechanism to lock the angle more securely than what I have seen in the smaller sine plates. Will see, but I do need to make some form of adjustable angle fixture for future projects.

David, as far as the new ERL-1340 lathe, it is just much more solid feeling and easier to remove more materials quickly. I real enjoy using the ERL and the universal gearbox is so much easier to change pitches/feeds and flip between imperial and metric. Accuracy wise, it is about the same as the 1340GT that I had previously, overall very happy with the ERL. If I wasn't already tooled up for a 1340 D1-4 size machine, I would have probably gone with a 1440TL with a larger spindle bore.

Appreciate everyone's comments, was a fun project and I agree that the end result is nicer than the Kurt version, it is very solid feeling. I have not worked much with 1144 and 316 SS, so was nice to get some experience with these materials. Always learning.

Reactions: tjb
Back