Knurling Tool Recommendation

That must be old stock because SPI doesn't list it on their site any more. I would seriously build one myself before paying that much, I know it didn't cost that much when I bought mine.

Tom

I got the Aloris AXA 19 and it's really nice- solid, easy to use, puts down a nice knurl with all three sets I have for it. But it is pricey. It was my Christmas gift to me last year :)

Paul,

There really isn't much to it. The knurl holders sit in slots that are capped by the main "L" shaped frame pieces. Other than that, you can pretty much see it all in the main pic.

I added another view just for good measure.

Tom

Thanks Tom for that extra pic :thumbzup:

That is an interesting looking knurler. Looks like it was originally intended to be used on a mill but also has the shank to be mounted in a tool post which is cool.

I have a Knurlcraft K1-44 HD Scissor knurler & a small Dorian straddle type knurler.

Accu-Trak also makes some very nice knurlers. Their HD straddle type knurler looks nice!

Img_9950.jpg

Img_1177.jpg

Img_9950.jpg

Img_1177.jpg

With the recent purchase of my 10" Atlas came a Phase II QCTP and a few holders including a medium bump diamond knurling tool. I decided to play with the knurl yesterday. I have no clue whether it is a DP or CP knurl. Formed a knurl and got a 'classic' good repeat on the top wheel and the fine 'non-repeat' pattern on the bottom wheel.

I decided to figure out the tooth pitch. Wheels are 3/4 diameter. First one I counted had 39 teeth. Hmmm. Kinda odd. Counted the other wheel. 40 teeth. :eek::eek: WTF??

Now I am a pea brained engineer and not an experienced machinist but this does not seem right to me. Any of you folks seen a knurling tool with intentionally different tool pitches on the two wheels???

I don't think they even make a 39 tpi wheel.

This is a design from Tom's Tehniques on YouTube that is easy to build.

Just watched his video's. I need to make one. PennTool Inc has them for $309.00

Back