Knurling on a 618

phubbman

Registered
Registered
I have an Atlas built Craftsman 101.07301 6x18 lathe. I'd like to do some knurling, but the machine is a bit light duty for a standard knurling tool to work well on steel. It presses against one side of the part, which puts a lot of strain on my bronze bushing spindle bearings. The lathe is really a light duty machine.

So i started looking at the scissors type knurling tools and similar styles that press knurlers into the work piece from opposite sides at the same time. There are a LOT of options out there. Can anyone make a recommendation on a decent, modestly priced knurling tool for occasional use? I don't mind making one myself if there is a good set of plans someone can share.

I'm trying to avoid buying junk, but don't need the Cadillac either. Middle of the road should be fine.

I currently have a wedge type OXA quick change tool post, but still have the original lantern style tool post in the drawer if that would be better for this.

Thanks in advance.
paulh

I bought a cheap 'bump' knurler, used the knurls in a scissors style of my manufacture, works a charm. The pins in the original were hard, I used them in my version, no problems.

Edit: correct typo

I built one based on one designed by Harold Hall and presented in Model Engineers Workshop. He has some plans on his website:

Two Wheel Knurling Tool

IMG_2141.JPG

Ir worked very well but had a limited jaw opening. I saw a slightly larger version at Busy Bee Tools and picked it up:

IMG_2142.JPG

Both have mounts for QCTP holders.

Cheers,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Of the two, which one seems to work better?
The lower one looks like it could have more lateral slop than the upper one
paulh

I built one based on one designed by Harold Hall and presented in Model Engineers Workshop. He has some plans on his website:

Two Wheel Knurling Tool

View attachment 355063

Ir worked very well but had a limited jaw opening. I saw a slightly larger version at Busy Bee Tools and picked it up:

View attachment 355064

Both have mounts for QCTP holders.

Cheers,

Adrian

Back