Knife Sharping Tools

I have an Edge Pro that does a great job. The man that owns the company is the founder and is great to work with

Sypderco Sharpmaker
Worksharp Ken Onion
Benchstones with an angle block for a reference

My favorite system and the most satisfying is a benchstone. I decided I wanted to master hand sharpening a week ago. Watched a few videos and went to work.

Do you have a mill? I was inspired by something I saw on bladeforums a few days ago. An adjustable angle plate jig that works like the Sypderco Sharpmaker. Clamp a benchstone on an aluminum plate, adjust the angle, and go to town.

I did the trig If you wanted quick adjustment for the typical knife angles. With a 10in plate for the platen, 1/4-20 holes in the base. 15,18, and 20 degrees would have enough just enough clearance between each tapped hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made one. Kinda a knockoff of the Wicked Edge Pro in function, but totally different in design and geometry.

It turned out better than I expected. After an hour sharpening my Shun kitchen knives with it, I think I can just almost, but not quite, split an atom. I use it with some Japanese Suehiro and Shapton stones.

Last edited:
I made one. Kinda a knockoff of the Wicked Edge Pro in function, but totally different in design and geometry.

It turned out better than I expected. After an hour sharpening my Shun kitchen knives with it, I think I can just almost, but not quite, split an atom. I use it with some Japanese Suehiro and Shapton stones.
Very nice! I just sharpened my Mom's Shun not too long ago with my Wicked Edge. :)

20210402_151307.jpg

Those Wicked Edge stones are pricey. I never was able to find Shapton koramaku WE stones.

I started 3d printing the plastic stone holders, then buying my favorite stones from a seller on ebay and epoxying them to the holders. Rainbow Sharpening Stones sold me some bare Shapton stones of the appropriate size that I could glue to my own holders.

Last edited:
Yeah everything from WE is expensive now. I got my WE when they first came out. They didn't even have the 800-1000 diamond stones yet back then. And my stones are so old they don't even have the grits marked on them, I labeled them myself. I was lucky cause I got mine cheap & upgraded parts over the years, some of which they gave to me for free "under warranty".

I never got into their Shaptons & other "exotic" stones. I just go up to 1000 diamond, then I use 1500 & 2000 sandpaper attached to their blanks, followed by their leather & balsa strops. Works for me.

Diamond grit stones, of several grits. They stay flat and keep on cutting, not going swayback, dull, or loaded. I still have quite a few natural and sintered rock grit and sintered type stones that rarely get used anymore. I was a professional chef in my younger years, we did not have time to play with sharpening tools, "Git 'er dun!" Good quality diamond stones are well worth the initial higher cost in the long run...

Mostly for sharpening my knife, I grab a 1x5 India oilstone and call it good. I ruin the edge regularly enough not to get too particular.

Back