King 5x6 Horizontal bandsaw worm gear failure

My $0.02...
They put it together without a hole drilled to put the pin in, there's a way to get it out without drilling.

There are actually two things retaining the gear the key on the end (visible in the picture) as well as a roll pin passing through the collar of the gear ( barely visible end, at about 11:30 position. Looks like the key takes the load and the roll pin prevents the gear from walking off the end of the shaft.

There was plenty of oil, I will need to find some yellow metal compatible gear oil.
Hi: Have the same problem -did you find a solution??? Bob

The factory may have assembled the shaft, the gear, and the bearing carrier sleeve and pressed them in.
If there is no bearing carrier sleeve then they may have done it some other way
But like I said, you can rotate the gear into an advantageous position then use some short lengths of metal rod
slightly smaller than the pin and a small C-clamp or Channelock pliers as a squeezer to nudge the pin out little by little.
Use several pieces starting with a short one like 1/8"
It works

Thanks - my situation is the shaft/gear assembly is missing and trying to find dimensions so I can manufacture replacements. Have cut gears in the past-did not know if anyone still had the old shaft and gear? Bob

Oh well, in that case you can make a new shaft from mild steel pretty much from measurements of the saw:
If you have both blade wheels then you would have to match the bore of the driving wheel,
then pick a bearing size (use bearings sealed on both sides). Select a shaft length based on the position
of the worm gear and the desired position of the driving wheel from the back section of the saw body.
Lastly, you would match the inner diameter of the bronze worm gear (worm wheel)
The Grizzly parts list might have the bearing size listed
You could also buy the shaft from Grizzly I suppose, but making it yourself would guarantee the fit

Last edited:
Some saws use a carrier sleeve (like a short piece of pipe) which carries the bearings and shaft; it's pressed into the saw
body from the back. Mine is like that, it's 1978 vintage
Other designs I believe have the bearings press directly into the saw body- newer ones I think are like that, to save cost.

Back