Kieth Rucker's 9" straight edge just arrived

I just watched this video again.
Now I'm trying to figure out where to start. I don't have a big old horizontal milling machine to chew up the face in one pass. I'm going to need to mill the top and bottom so I can grind it.
I'm thinking I will use a face mill while mounting the frame as close to 90 degrees as I can and mill the face first then flip it and do the top.
The 45 is pretty straight forward.
Surface grinding will make scraping a heck of a lot easier, less material to remove.

I was thinking about just putting it in my vise 'top down' and mill the bottom with a face-mill that way. It seemed to me that the horizontal he used made it more difficult than a vertical mill, rather than easier. Basically do the first indexing off the 'web' section, then work from there.

You could also probably get the 3 90 degree faces with the vertical mill in the same setup. From there, it seems like it would be easy enough to index off of those from there.

I was thinking about just putting it in my vise 'top down' and mill the bottom with a face-mill that way. It seemed to me that the horizontal he used made it more difficult than a vertical mill, rather than easier. Basically do the first indexing off the 'web' section, then work from there.

You could also probably get the 3 90 degree faces with the vertical mill in the same setup. From there, it seems like it would be easy enough to index off of those from there.
We will see how it indexes. Hopefully I'll have enough confidence in the consistency it will be a valid set-up method.

Just got mine too. No rush to get it finished, now that scraping class here in NorCal has been postponed. So I'll sit back and just copy what you do, Jeff.

Seems to me that the initial clean up of the flat establishes the reference plane for what comes after. So even if not perfect it won't matter since the 45* surface is referenced from it. If that makes sense. Of course you want to get it so there's no taper end-to-end, nor tilt from side-to-side, but even if there is, it's not a tool-ruining problem. I choose to believe this because it gives me courage.

Just got mine too. No rush to get it finished, now that scraping class here in NorCal has been postponed. So I'll sit back and just copy what you do, Jeff.

Seems to me that the initial clean up of the flat establishes the reference plane for what comes after. So even if not perfect it won't matter since the 45* surface is referenced from it. If that makes sense. Of course you want to get it so there's no taper end-to-end, nor tilt from side-to-side, but even if there is, it's not a tool-ruining problem. I choose to believe this because it gives me courage.
Well said, exactly!
Where we start, determines where we end up.
I'm thinking i'll wait for you to show me the way. :)

I'm going to need to mill the top and bottom so I can grind it.
When scraping steel after grinding, there can be issues with the surface ground metal being harder (or maybe tougher, or both) than the underlying metal, which can cause the scraper to skate with no cutting, followed by using more pressure and then digging in deeper than desired. Very frustrating. With using cast iron I "suspect" that trouble might be reduced or no problem at all. Look for it whenever you scrape surface ground metal.

When scraping steel after grinding, there can be issues with the surface ground metal being harder (or maybe tougher, or both) than the underlying metal, which can cause the scraper to skate with no cutting
Bob,
If heat is not an issue due to coolant used while grinding, is there some other voo-doo going on to affect the surface?

I know this is an old thread but I am trying to purchase this camelback from Keith (Vintage Machinery) and there is no option to purchase it. I trued to contact Keith through his “Contact Us” page but I keep getting a ReCaptcha error. I figured it might be a google chrome issue so I tried using 3 different browsers and still the same issue. Does anyone know an alternate way of contacting him?

Back