Kidney Stone Surgery

been there ....done all that ...I drink nothing but cranberry blend drinks or water now ...a LOT of cran/ras/grape/whatever (Florida..hot). From observation of friends and associates, it seems that the stones afflict those of us who were in the habit of"frequent" alky consumption in younger years ....... then it gets u years later when u don't "consume" anymore. Tea contributes to oxylate stone formation also.

Tea and iced tea is death.
Doc told me lemon and lemonade citric acid attack the stones and prevent formation.

I did drink a lot when younger so that is interesting .

Good luck on the recovery, Nels.

I had a stone removed a few years ago. Recovery was complicated by my enlarged prostate. It took 3 weeks before they could remove the catheter. That was no fun.

The pain and inconvenience did have an upside. I got intubation sore throat that lasted almost two weeks. I smoked a lot of cigarettes at the time, but my throat was so sore I couldn't smoke. I took advantage of the couple weeks of non-smoking and quit cigarettes forever. I don't know that I could have done it any other way.

The moral: The light at the end of the tunnel isn't always a train.

Just about any of the Crystal Light drinks are fine, according to my urologist. The first ingredient is citric acid.

I drink Crystal Light lemonade . It melts the calcium. Their ice tea has oxylate .

how are you feeling now Nels

i have had small kidney stones every three years like clockwork since my early 20's , knock on wood so far they have all been tiny and somewhat easy to pass .
so i find it easy to commiserate .

good luck on your recovery and try to take it easy

I pass kidney stones on an almost daily basis and had oen makes its presence known earlier today.

The last two I was able to recover from the toilet were 5mmX7mm and 8mmX10mm.

They are the largest passed stones my urologist has ever seen. Before I passed the first one, I was in his office and he was scheduling surgery when I handed him the stone. With eyes huge, he asked me how I'd gotten it and I told him it was obvious it was coming out and I just waited to hear it hit the toilet bowl. The second, one I was standing at the toilet and my urine flow stopped... Then, I heard a thunk and saw it in the bowl.

I drink gallons of weak tea with lemon juice added to acidify my urine. I also drink a LOT of beer to try to keep my urine dilute. Drug tests are fun as I'm always accused of intentionally diluting my urine-until they find blood and protein in my urine and when I tell the clinic folks I have chronic kidney stones, EVERYONE in the room crosses their legs and looks pained!

Got my first bad one in 1988 when I was 26. It cost me my flight medical certification and I haven't flown since.

The last two I was able to recover from the toilet were 5mmX7mm and 8mmX10mm.

I drink gallons of weak tea with lemon juice added to acidify my urine. I also drink a LOT of beer to try to keep my urine dilute. Drug tests are fun as I'm always accused of intentionally diluting my urine-until they find blood and protein in my urine and when I tell the clinic folks I have chronic kidney stones, EVERYONE in the room crosses their legs and looks pained!

An 8mm stone will almost never pass, according to my urologist. He's pretty well regarded out here.
The one I just had broken up was 9mm.
I have passed up to 4mm.

Tea has oxylates - it is FULL of oxylates. If your stones are calcium oxylate, drinking tea, weak or otherwise, will create them.
If that is the case, STOP drinking tea. Never eat rhubarb, spinach or beets. They are high in oxylates.
Google for high oxylate foods, and avoid them like plague.

One summer, I drank Crystal Light ice tea to stay hydrated. I was in the ER soon, with 4 stones.
Drink Lemonade instead with citric acid. That breaks them up.

An 8mm stone will almost never pass, according to my urologist. He's pretty well regarded out here.
The one I just had broken up was 9mm.
I have passed up to 4mm.

I agree and my urologist said the exact same thing as he was planning to cut me open. Ever since, when I whine about stones, he tells me to wait for them to pass.

Trust me, these stones make their presence known immediately once they decide to leave.

Tea has oxylates - it is FULL of oxylates. If your stones are calcium oxylate, drinking tea, weak or otherwise, will create them.
If that is the case, STOP drinking tea. Never eat rhubarb, spinach or beets. They are high in oxylates.
Google for high oxylate foods, and avoid them like plague.

As long as one drinks enough liquid, along with an acidifying agent, the concentration of both oxylates and the metallic ions in our urine can be kept at a sufficiently low level to avoid formation of stones.

I don't want to drink just the water from our well as it is so hard and full of sodium from the softener that I hae to do something to make it palatable.

One summer, I drank Crystal Light ice tea to stay hydrated. I was in the ER soon, with 4 stones.
Drink Lemonade instead with citric acid. That breaks them up.
The lemon juice does that and it doesn't necessarily break them up, rather it prevents formation.

Back