Kennmetal threading tools.

Doc1976

Registered
Registered
I am beginning to try my hands at threading on my new to me lathe. I've been able to make a few parts that look pretty good and are usable. My questions are about kennmetal inserts and holders for threading. Anyone here have any experience? I've watched many videos online as to the process, compound at 29- 30 degrees, and all that. But the threads I cut last night, 1/2-20 on steel came out not looking quite 60 degrees. One side of each thread had a nice 30 degree appearance but the other side looked a bit straight. So each thread has almost a right triangle look to it if that makes sense. Any suggestions guys?

What's your compound angle set at ?

I've set the compound at both 29 and 30. Although the 30 seems to make it worse. Cutting tool is a kennmetal threading insert.

Is it set off the correct axis ?

Yep, verified by setting the cutting tool on the compound and visually lining up cutting angle with the slide. I thought about this too being it is an import machine.

Quick way to verify is just use your cross slide only . Don't use the compound . If it looks like 60 degrees , it's your compound angle that is giving you issues .

Brand of threading tool is not relevant, using inserts eliminates improper grind.
Yep, verified by setting the cutting tool on the compound and visually lining up cutting angle with the slide. I thought about this too being it is an import machine.
I'm not sure I fully understand this, but to be sure, your TOOL is square (90 deg.) to the part, yes?

Last edited:
Brand of threading tool is not relevant, using inserts eliminates improper grind.

I'm not sure I fully understand this, but to be sure, your TOOL is square (90 deg.) to the part, yes?
Yeah, that is why I tried with the inserts first. I figured it would allow me to get the threading process down without worrying about the tool grind itself. I am using a quality center gauge to square the cutting bit to the work, or at least I think I am. The carbide inserts are very small and I'm wondering if I am getting it perfectly square.

Back