[How-To] Keeping surfaces new looking

I also picked up two aerosol cans of Fluid Film today.
Learning about the lanolin content was the prime motivator.
Among other uses, I'm going to soak a new ink pad with it and use that to roll gage pins in.
Thanks for the education fellas.

For this to work, your shop cannot have leaks to the outside. First, measure the vertical height of the highest unpainted metal surface. Then fill your shop with oil to that level plus 1"

Northeast here; spring and fall can have big temp/humidity swings. I won't open bay doors on bad days and generally keep doors shut when there's possibility of condensation. This is huge on certain days in the spring because equipment is typically a lot cooler than outdoors.

My first go-to is Minwax paste finishing wax; once its dry you barely notice it. I also use Sta-Bil rust stopper; works great but tends to stay a bit greasy. I wish they would sell the Sta-Bil Rust Stopper in jugs instead of aerosol cans.

I also will make sure steel chips are brushed off after a job and clean/oil ways and tables. I use breathable cloth to cover machines on machines which aren't used often. I also keep grinding/sanding ops away from machines to avoid metal dust from settling.

Back