Keeping Inserts Organize

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys since I am getting closer to finishing up my 13" lathe I have a tool holder set from Shars.I had also order some inserts for turning just plain old mild steel.Now I would like to order some inserts for turning aluminum and stainless,but I have never seen what the inserts looks like for using on SS and aluminum.So I guess that they may look the same as the one's for turning mild steel.If they do look alike or maybe a slight difference I was wondering how you keep your inserts organize so that your not using a insert thats for aluminum on stainless steel.Do you have one of those small plastic trays mark aluminum on the cover,or do you have an extra set of tool holders for aluminum and stainless?If you have some pics of what you have please post or if you have a link to what you have that would be nice.Thanks guys,have alot to learn here even the simple things----kroll
Here a pic of what I have---
404-1051main_2.jpg

Last edited:
If the inserts come in a decent package, I would leave them in it and maybe just mark the package as to what material it is for.

Sharpie marker, simply write on the box what you bought them for, steel roughing, stainless finishing, Whitworth thread, aluminum. brass, plastic finishing, M Profile threads, UNSI threads, Acme, centralizing Acme, radius and forming tools, it is unlikely that you will aquire such a large number of inserts that you do not know what they do.

Good Luck

I write it on the boxes with a sharpie . What they're for ... alum , cast iron, tool steel, stainless ...whatever you'll remember .

Thanks guys,sharpie it is.
I work in a busy shop with 6 other machinists using 5 lathes and 7 mills, the insert cabinet drawers are a disaster, we have hundreds of different tools using inserts for particular materials and conditions, it's bedlam without a person who's job it is to keep track of hundreds of inserts, drills, reamers, grinding wheels, milling cutters not to mention fixtures and hold down devices, a Sharpie Marker is a good thing.

Back