Keep PM-1236T or get back in line for PM-1340GT?

skcncx

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
If your PM-1236T is ready in a few weeks for pickup... or you can wait until March/April 2023 for the bigger brother PM-1340GT... would you make the switch?

According to PM, my PM-1236T should be ready for pick up in a few weeks. While I've been waiting the past couple months I've wondered if I should upgrade to the PM-1340GT. PM will allow me to do that... but I have get get back in line. The PM-1340GT is not due in until March/April next year... A little fear of the "better option" is kicking in, though... in reality, for hobby use I can't make a strong logical case.

Other than the obvious 1" larger swing, heavier, 4" extra length and hardened gears... they are supposedly similar overall build quality. Both appear to be great lathes given their size.

What am I missing?

My intermittent hobby use likely won't see the absolute need for hardened gears and the extra 1" swing doesn't sway me, the extra 4" length may come in handy.... seems like keeping the PM-1236T is the logical choice... just a nagging feeling I should consider getting back in line for the PM-1340 GT.

I'll post pics soon, but I've done a custom stand using David P Best design with a frame built around a harbor freight top tool chest.... it can handle either lathe.

Is the spindle bore the same?

Is the larger lathe a new model upgraded from last years? What is new?

Is the spindle bore the same?

Is the larger lathe a new model upgraded from last years? What is new?
I don't believe anything is new on the 1340GT... the comparison between the 1236T and 1340GT is the same as it has been for awhile.

Bores are both 1 9/16. Gear boxes the same... they are VERY similar.

PM-1340 GT... "All shafts in headstock hardened and ground along with gears which are precision ground, set in with a close tolerance fit, which leads to longer life and quiet running when compared with other geared head lathes"

Is this upgrade on the 1340GT a game changer?

PM-1236T
... Meant for hobby-type or light industrial users who are not using the machine for heavy production, but still want the benefits of a high quality machine at a lower price point (Typical examples where the PM-1236T is suitable: high end hobby users, R&D shops, or industrial users who may use it a few days per week. If it will be used daily, please select PM-1340GT, gears and shafts in the 1340GT are different, they are a hardened alloy steel, meant for daily use, pro gunsmiths, industrial shops, production, etc.)

This is my use case for sure... but I've never (almost never) wished I didn't get the "better" option after purchase.

Based on conversations with a PM-1236T user, the CH (that's the distance between the top of the compound and the center-line of the spindle) is approximately 1.2" on the 1236T. The same CH dimension on a 1340GT is closer to 1.7". That suggests to me that the 1236T would be best equipped with an AXA-sized QCTP rather than the BXA-sized unit that is appropriate for the 1340GT. I'm not saying you can't use a BXA on the 1236T, but you will have more tool height restrictions and challenges than you would with an AXA-sized QCTP. Therefore, if you plan to use an Aloris-style QCTP, and you want the larger tooling sizes that the BXA-sized units allow, you'd be better off with the 1340GT.

If you want more specifics on this, DM me.

Based on conversations with a PM-1236T user, the CH (that's the distance between the top of the compound and the center-line of the spindle) is approximately 1.2" on the 1236T. The same CH dimension on a 1340GT is closer to 1.7". That suggests to me that the 1236T would be best equipped with an AXA-sized QCTP rather than the BXA-sized unit that is appropriate for the 1340GT. I'm not saying you can't use a BXA on the 1236T, but you will have more tool height restrictions and challenges than you would with an AXA-sized QCTP. Therefore, if you plan to use an Aloris-style QCTP, and you want the larger tooling sizes that the BXA-sized units allow, you'd be better off with the 1340GT.

If you want more specifics on this, DM me.
Thanks! Yes, we've had a few DM conversations on this aspect, mainly related to the Aloris #71 and #77 parting tool. The 1.7" certainly gives you more room... as the BXA on the 1236T with only 1.2" CH can be limiting, essentially requiring the need to bottom out many tools to get cutter on center line.

Cart before the horse, I've already sourced my Aloris branded BXA tool post, so either lathe, BXA is what I have :). In my head, I've resolved to the 1.2" CH... but my thoughts can change on that for sure.

I'm sure BOTH the 1236T and 1340GT will be great for me... and while I don't care to wait another 4-6 months... this is the last lathe I'll buy... unless I made money and had a "real", non hobby reason to buy another.

Anything else that would make it worth waiting for?

We just finished a variable speed conversion on a 12x37 that I love... but happily are in the midst of selling it on the hopes of getting a 13x40, neither is a PM but I'd do this route with any brand of lathe because those extra inches are sometimes vital to a project.

I had a similar dilemma when I bought my 1236T two years ago, it was in stock and the 1340GT was a few months out. I decided to get the in stock machine and not wait any longer, I would not have the patience to wait another 4+ months after all the time you have already waited.
I didn’t think the hardened gears was a major issue, maybe it will have an impact at some point, but if I need to replace gears, I can probably replace them with hardened gears. The 12” swing or 36” length hasn’t been a limiting factor, but having it and not using it is always nicer than not having it and needing it, so point in favor of the 1340GT.
David’s point about the AXA toolpost being ideal on the 1236T is valid. I already had an AXA toolpost, so started with that and planned on a BXA, but decided against that since it would be close to bottoming out with 5/8” toolholders. Since you already have the BXA, you might run into some clearance problems with the 1236T, but it doesn’t seem like it would be something you couldn’t modify around, so I wouldn’t use that as a deciding factor. One plus for the 1340, you might be able to use larger parting blades on that one then you would be able to on a 1236. I haven’t checked that, but having the extra half inch to center height could give you more options in a BXA size post.

If both were coming in at the same time, I would say go for the 1340, I most likely would have if both were in stock. But, I put more emphasis on getting a machine and getting to work, so didn’t wait, and don’t regret the decision at all.

Don’t make a decision you’re going to regret.
If you think you want the 1340GT, get it!
It’s the one I want & so a couple of months ago I placed the order & made the down payment!
I’m following the guys’ advice around here, “buy once, cry once”...,...,...I’m buying once & I’m most definitely going to cry once!

This is just my .02

. Since you already have the BXA, you might run into some clearance problems with the 1236T, but it doesn’t seem like it would be something you couldn’t modify around,
I figured, or it seems... just about ANY machine, there's always some working around "something".... I have always found it odd PM doesn't pair it with an AXA setup... I've already sourced various 5/8 shanked tool holders and already thinking I'll be getting the XL tool holders that do lower it another small it.

I think even David had to right something up on his PM-1340GT for one tool because he couldn't get it high enough. So I guess, high or low could be issues.

But, I put more emphasis on getting a machine and getting to work, so didn’t wait, and don’t regret the decision at all.
Yep, that's what I'm waffling on. Placed my order end of July.. what's 5 more months in the long run. I'm planning to augment with a mill as well, likely their 833TV bench top mill and that might be available mid December so that could wet my appetited for a bit. I have not real plans/project for either.... just setting up shop... all this tooling while I dig into metal working/machining.

Either way, if I decide to defer or just pick up on my current order... I'll have a great lathe.

Back