Keep it from tipping when moving

I was at a trade skills competition for local high schools years ago. A local machine tool dealer supplied 4 new Kent 1440 lathes for the students to use for competition. When they delivered them to the venue their own driver/delivery guy tipped one over while moving it into position. They are so top heavy it can happen in a flash, as you know. When I move any of my machines I use 4 shop made skates, held in position under the machine by bolts threaded into the skate and sticking up into the foot holes in the machine base. The skate can move up/ down and the bolt doesn't allow it to escape. I use a piece of 1/2" plywood between the skate and machine base to add a little traction and cushion and only apply force with a prybar between the floor and machine base. Pushing from the top provides too much tipping leverage. The skates roll almost too easily and I use plastic wedges under the wheels to prevent the machine from moving on it's own due to slope in the floor. I always sude a shop vac to clear the path of any small stones etc before moving. I aways try to have a second person acting as a spotter to warn if anything moves out of position. So far I'm crash free and take these precautions because I witnessed the Kent lathe tip over years ago. I think once you witness that once you'll be super vigilant going forward. Here's hoping everything works out perfectly getting your new machine up and running.

20200321_115107.jpg

Well, if the city council meetings were held at the local hoot-n-holler, would bring new meaning to doing ones civic duty.
Real deal brother
Elko was booming.. Thats when the Carlin trend was found .. Largest gold deposit in the world.
Brought in miners from everywhere.. Still is ......... this is why Nevada doesn't have state taxes. mining and gambling pays the taxes.
Nothing less then the wild wild west if you went out drinking .
If you go to the Eko's museum walk straight forward about forty feet there is little room gives some history of the city fathers .
Look for Frank Williams. Mayor of Elko for 22years He dies back the 90's
I will start a thread on moving the Logan lathe .

So far I'm crash free and take these precautions because I witnessed the Kent lathe tip over years ago. I think once you witness that once you'll be super vigilant going forward.
Exactly!

It's one of those things that someone can tell you about, but there's nothing like seeing it happen. Similar to why I won't ride next to semi trucks....I've seen a semi tire explode from about 50ft away!

Started a thread on making a saddle for moving lathes:

Back