Kant Twist clamps

finsruskw

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Thinking of getting some.
Which sizes would be the most usable for general ahobby machine shop use?

Have you thought of making some? There are plans on the forum. I tried posting a link it did not work.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Go to sponsored forum D. Gray drafting and Design. He sells a very good kit.

Cutting oil is my blood.

2" and 3" are a good place to start. Good for clamping material together to concurrently machine, or to match drill, or to clamp to a 1-2-3 block... You will undoubtedly need a different size as soon as you start using them though :)

For me, 2" - 4" reign supreme, but the question is wrong. The real answer can only come from what you do. I use K-T clamps from 1" to 6", but I bet I work on different stuff than you do, and with different tools. K-T clamps are expensive - buy them for **your** projects and ultimately you'll have the sizes you need. If you insist on buying them ahead of time I'd buy 2" and 4". Smaller won't work with an angle plate very often and larger are for pretty specialized setups.

GsT

I bought a bunch of 2” knockoff’s on eBay for like 4 for $30 and I liked them so much I bought 4 more. I also bought 4.5 and 6” used. I think I’d find use for 3” too.

I have 2 of the 4 1/2" K-T's and thus far they have handled everything I've needed them for. Most of my welding/clamping uses are with 1/2" - 3" angle, square/rectangle, and the like.

@C-Bag How do they describe them on ebay? All the KTs I've found on ebay.ca are the expensive ones...

@C-Bag How do they describe them on ebay? All the KTs I've found on ebay.ca are the expensive ones...
Yup, I went back through my purchase history and they seem to have vanished if I click on the link. Might have run afoul of copyright or patent, dunno. The link when clicked on say they can’t find it. My last purchase was Aug 21. 4 clamps for $25. Glad I stocked up. They are not the quality of the real ones but seem to hold up fine. It is the black one in the front.

These were the first KT’s I ever used and they are pretty wonderful, but I kept running into times the screw handle coming out the back caused clearance problems in my setup. I got an idea of what they would be like if it went the other way and my fellow H-M buddy bill70j is local and offered to work it up on 360. So I made some simple drawings and he worked out and even made the prototypes (INCREDIBLE work) which he traded me for a heavy duty bench I needed to get rid of. I’ve been using them for a while now and I really like them. One of my details I really like is I had him include wrench flats on the top of the thumb knobs and that has come in really handy to be able to tighten them in tight spots. If I ever get some time I’d like to make 3” or 4” versions. I think Bill has been working on them.

Attachments

• 0803DA6D-148F-49EC-A106-0BF735C70165.jpeg
    0803DA6D-148F-49EC-A106-0BF735C70165.jpeg
    618.7 KB · Views: 20
Back