[How-To] K&T Walker Turner 16" Wood Metal Bandsaw

silverforgestudio

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've got a beautiful 16" Walker/Turner (Div of Kearney and Trecker- thus this forum)

But I have a problem- the transmission is stuck! Not in Hi/Low- it works well there...

Its a long post with a lot of pics- so please hang with me and understand Im still learning this stuff!

Here is the face plate- Serial Number 0842 and Model 3331
IMG_20201204_202058985.jpg IMG_20201204_202120157.jpg

Here is the Pic of the speed selector and its "Topped out" position-
IMG_20201204_202148765.jpg

Here is my FIRST issue- I have no idea how to switch/adjust the gear speed- In a recent search I read you should ONLY change speeds while the motor is running- but to me that seems counter intuitive- cannot find anything about this- any experienced K/T guys out there to weigh in on this?

When I got the saw the speed selector was free turning- the problem showed up with the bevel gear and the shafting! The key was turned completely out of the bevel gear- it is on a screw-shaft- here is a pic:
IMG_20201204_202220710.jpg

Now I can get this key to seat and screw into the bevel gear by aligning the keyway and key, and slowly turning it counter-clockwise (here is a pic of the shaft seated)
IMG_20201204_203927421.jpg

SO I am thinking the "Arm" this screw pushes on is the speed selector as well- (In pic above it is the piece at 90deg under the bevel gear with the RED speed indicator/Flathead screw on.

IMG_20201204_202245711 (1).jpg
IMG_20201204_202256167.jpg

There are TWO knurled collar rings below the bevel gear. On the screw shaft. One above the speed selector/Speed reducing arm and one above (Here is where it goes horribly wrong as I know nothing about this system- this is a guess!). I would THINK this would lower/raise the arm- Anyone know?

It would appear these rings are loose- they free turn on the shaft- grub screws are loose.

So here is my question- Im thinking I just tighten the bevel gear grub screw to hold the key in place... rotate the knurled TOP knob onto the speed arm and tighten the grub and fire it up! Then adjust DOWN the speed and then raise and secure the lower knurled knob/grub screw.

If you are still reading thank you- get a chuckle and help a dude get some old iron functional!

Please ask questions if I am not clear- Im learning and may not have the right names or thingamabobs identified (Heck- I am doubting its a real bandsaw with all these fiddly bits about!)

Thanks folks!

-Silver

Attachments

• IMG_20201204_202157868.jpg
    IMG_20201204_202157868.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20201204_202232042.jpg
    IMG_20201204_202232042.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201204_202245711.jpg
    IMG_20201204_202245711.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 10
Fantastic machine. As soon as I'm done drooling on my keyboard I'm going to go back over the pictures.

The bottom pulley looks like it's a Variable Speed type - is moving freely or might it be gummed up?

Middle.road is right, that is a variable speed pulley in the final picture. You should not attempt to adjust the speed unless the unit is running. It works by varying the gap on the pulley essentially making the belt ride near the bottom or top of the pulley by your adjustment.

I see there are a few videos on YouTube for the 16" Walker/Turner Bandsaw. You might want to check them out.

Great saw, would love to find one of these.

Fantastic machine. As soon as I'm done drooling on my keyboard I'm going to go back over the pictures.
The bottom pulley looks like it's a Variable Speed type - is moving freely or might it be gummed up?

Thanks Middle- love the jeep by the way- It came from an old gent I learned some things from. I will post some more pics in a few- actually want to get this puppy running first as I was gifted some things I need to cut down to store.

I finally moved it out of the storage into the projects to be done section of the garage... and I am starting to slowly pry off about 30 years of stuff/buildup and other schmutz from it. I love it- its solid for sure!

Both pulleys for the variable speed spin by hand- so had a go with it under power- as suggested.... the shaft the reducers ride on is attached to the "arm" on the threaded rod- that is how it is pushed/pulled up/down.

It is kept in alignment by the silver colored vertical keepers (are these considered ways?) with the flathead screws on the central axis of the main transmission pulley.

Problem is to SLOW DOWN- it un-screws the keyed shaft at the top so it no longer holds- and Im not sure what the knurled rings do on the threaded shaft either- they may be "locks" to dial in and set a specific speed range (they have their own grub screws and do not seem to go with either the upper threaded boss or the arm boss either.

Middle.road is right, that is a variable speed pulley in the final picture. You should not attempt to adjust the speed unless the unit is running. It works by varying the gap on the pulley essentially making the belt ride near the bottom or top of the pulley by your adjustment.
I see there are a few videos on YouTube for the 16" Walker/Turner Bandsaw. You might want to check them out.
Great saw, would love to find one of these.

Thanks Papa- So I took your advice- and have actually made a note on the machine to only adjust under power- It was picked up this way so Im not sure if it was fiddled with prior to me getting it or actually after... but its my problem now so onward...

Most of the Youtube guys are not this model or variable speed- the couple that were are about the clean up only- nothing about the drive mechanism (that I have seen yet- doesnt mean its not there- just have not found one yet)

I will post pics this evening after tinkering with it some more- found 2x manuals for it online- the Rockwell one is dated '58- but the Kearney Trecker/Wallker Turner folks (based on OWWM data) seem to have been producing this first prior to '56. Have no idea on a date- but the patents may give me a better start.

More to come!

any machine that uses pulleys for variable speed(like mills and drill presses) need to be running while changing speeds. it is also important on most to lower the speed to the lowest setting before shutting the machine off, then it is much easier on the motor when starting up.
Dave

good to know about the lower speed and ease on the motor- Im finding this little 3/4 hp motor bogs down easy... I may need to upgrade this later! I have a few "bigger" hp motors available.

is the motor suspended by the belt? I'm struggling to see how the variable speed drive at the bottom can work otherwise. There's got to be something at the bottom of that threaded rod with the bevel gear at the top which moves that middle disk towards (higher speed) or away from (lower speed) the motor. My guess would be that the collars with set screws on are to either stop the threaded rod moving up and down (my guess) or as hard stops for the extremes of the speed range if the threaded rod is supposed to move up and down (which is possible as the bevel gear at the top looks constrained).

Matt- I will do a picture series of the parts and housings tomorrow- I know its "clear as mud" and part of that is my own ignorance with what to call things...

To answer your first question- no- the motor is not suspended by the belt- it goes to a pillow-block/shaft setup- but the motor is mounted to a pivoting plate for tension on the system.

The bottom of the threaded rod is in a threaded boss on the housing/casting- it screws up/down as well- I will put a few pics of the parts diagram in as well...

It would appear as if there was a roll-pin and double washer at the bottom of the threaded rod to keep it "in place"... that is currently missing... time to de-grease it and get some better pics!

So- in all honesty- Full disclosure- I brought this out to cut up some fresh cherry I took down... I locked the old girl in hi-gear and let her fly... she went through the green cherry like nothing with a brand new 4 tpi deep gullet carbon blade. love the guys at SURESET SAW in Chesapeake, VA! (they even let me watch the process and gave me a lesson in blade styles/types... did I mention I dont know too much about bandsaws? HA!

OK- enough for tonight from me- Ive got to clean up and get going on the interior project for tonight... laundry... sigh...

So for those following this- I had to take a week off thanks to work changes... apologies! I will be getting into the drive and transmission system this weekend if SWMBO doesnt have holiday stuff for me to do....

Thought I would take a minute and share a "Genius level Pro-tip" from my 6 year old... I was STRUGGLING with this old iron-gal getting the new blades on her (locally made and thicker stock versus mail order so stiffer and not broken in).

Sharp, deep throat gullet re-saw blades- Anyway... My daughter sees me try a couple of times and the blade popping off (Did I mention Im new to the Bandsaw world?)... and I hear her clinking around in her little red toolbox... and she walks over and says "...Here daddy- use my hold-downs!..."

IMG_20201205_135254354_HDR.jpg IMG_20201205_135307840.jpg
I... am... speechless... Not only do they work- she gave me "permission" to go in her toolbox and get them any time I needed! HA! I LOVE HER!

Anywho- just thought I would let you folks know Shes not dead in the water- the projects not stalled... just life.

Back