Just watched this popular woodworking video and thought I would share how not to setup a gantry.

When you are showing things like that you need to do a better job. There are too many newbies that see that and think there's nothing wrong with it. They don't realize how a gantry can fall over and kill/crush someone. I hate being the safety Nazis but that was a real bad example to anyone.
You're only a safety nazi to ignorant people who don't know enough to know when their doing something dangerous, and then let their own ego override your good advise.

I had two co workers lifting a 700lbs press bolster, a job I did by myself the day before, tell me to get lost when I critiqued their rigging.

I used two eye bolts and a pipe through them to lift it with a forklift, they insisted using two eye bolts (same size I used) with a choked chain spanning them and lifting with one fork in the center.

I walked away, and a half hour later was holding ones hand while he was screaming and crying with a crushed hand and being loaded into an ambulance.

They put so much side load on those eye bolts that one snapped and nearly killed the one guy. My rigging had the eyebolts in tension vertically and would require 5-6 times the amount of force theirs did to break anything.

ETA: Here's an example of how to receive well intentioned advise on a subject you have little knowledge of.

Dragfluid was very skeptical at first, but thankful in the end for me lending him this information as to why what he was doing was a bad idea. We have become good friends because of this, and I also gained a lot of respect in the community as many people never even considered things like this and were glad for the insight. No egos were harmed in the making of that post.

If Dragfluid were to have acted out and became petty to the point of sniping over a perceived slight, he would have lost face with the community (Thats a hint). As it stands, he and others regularly ask for advise, and I'm happy to share 35yrs of knowledge gained from working in industry.

Terrible rigging example from that thread very similar to what got my coworker hurt.

1713634679954.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In this case I wanted to see a NOS band saw which was a pretty cool find.
It was, and a perfect opportunity to remind people to be careful in the shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you had to have credentials/skills/credibility to do media to the public. Now a phone and a selfie stick. I think my father provided a sturdier swing set for us as children. It would have been shameful to crash that priceless saw.

Is the last picture rockets with seats for Slim Pickens to ride int space?

I don’t think he is holding a grudge. He doesn’t like MY thoughts on safety either. Lol
So there is a trend?

At what point does it amount to trolling?

You know, like telling a fellow to go to H in such a way as to make him look forward to going. That takes more words.

I mean, if the shoe fits and you proudly admit you're trying to provoke people...

That's pretty much trolling.

Last edited:
Once you had to have credentials/skills/credibility to do media to the public. Now a phone and a selfie stick. I think my father provided a sturdier swing set for us as children. It would have been shameful to crash that priceless saw.

Is the last picture rockets with seats for Slim Pickens to ride int space?
LOL, didn't see this earlier.

This was the way he rigged a steel hulled Pontoon boat to grind, weld and paint the sponsions.

This was last summer, but we did the calculations and IIRC, at 1/3 the hull weight (Vertical load) and figured the amount of side load he was putting on those lil grab handles was nearing 3000lbs each of side load in the 1" welds holding them on.

At first he was full of himself with an "I got this" kind of attitude typical of people in over their head trying to save face.

Then he was thankful for being given good advise.

And conveniently there's even mention of my coworkers accident in post #27 of that GJ thread, don't know what kind of mind would dream up lying about such a thing, horrible day Ill never forget.

Last edited:
So there is a trend?

At what point does it amount to trolling?
I don’t think he was trolling me. We just don’t agree on everything.

I figured that’s normal. I’m certainly not always right. Heck, one of my posts here already got deleted and I don’t even remember what I said.

LOL, didn't see this earlier.

This was the way he rigged a steel hulled Pontoon boat to grind, weld and paint the sponsions.

This was last summer, but we did the calculations and IIRC, at 1/3 the hull weight (Vertical load) and figured the amount of side load he was putting on those lil grab handles was nearing 3000lbs each of side load in the 1" welds holding them on.

At first he was full of himself with an "I got this" kind of attitude typical of people in over their head trying to save face.

Then he was thankful for being given good advise.

And conveniently there's even mention of my coworkers accident in post #27 of that GJ thread, don't know what kind of mind would dream up lying about such a thing, horrible day Ill never forget.
Most folks do not know what a spreader bar is nor what it is for.....

Back