Just Picked Up A Th54

Probably. Except that for an AXA which is as large as you need on an Atlas 12", I would have ordered it in 3/8".

Probably. Except that for an AXA which is as large as you need on an Atlas 12", I would have ordered it in 3/8".
Oh ok, I assumed you had to use the size that fit the post. I didn't realize using the smaller size would work better. I'll keep that in mind next time. Thanks

It isn't so much that the smaller size works better, although as a practical matter I've never found that they worked any poorer. But there is often a significance cost difference in brazed cutters and in the cutter holders and the inserts themselves. 1/2" just barely fits in a 100 Series tool holder. At least back in the day, the recommended cutter holder sizes were given as AXA = 3/8", BXA = 1/2" and CXA = 5/8". Note that in a 100 Series holder, or at least in the 20 or so that I have from various sources (including Yuasa who made my QCTP and original set of holders), the distance from the back of the slot to the centerline of the set screws is just over 3/16". Which puts the screws almost in the center of the 3/8" square holders. And that the slot depth is just over 3/8" which puts the outer corner of the cutter holder sollidly on the bottom of the slot. You can run 1/2" tooling in a 100 Series holder if you need to. They just cost more.

Back