Just Picked Up A Th54

slow95gsx

Registered
Registered
First personal lathe, not a ton of experience on lathes in the past. Any tips for this particular lathe? Do's and dont's? Good QCTP to fit it?
Thanks

Many topics and tips through out the Atlas section. Too many to list here.

A Phase II or a clone AXA Wedge style tool post will fit. Just have to fit the plate to the top slide. May have to modify the top slide to clear the corners of the tool post.

I have a few videos on the atlas on my youtube channel. Click the link in my signature.

a good don't...
Don't crash the saddle, compound rest, or toolholder into the chuck,
it will cost lots of money to get your lathe back into operation.
i saved a 50's vintage TH42 lathe from a careless operator,but way too late.:mad:

Thanks for the info guys. I was looking at those axa tool posts pdentrem, wasn't sure if it'd work though. Thanks for clarifying.

IFF you happen to have the milling attachment, the compound rest assembly will fit onto the milling attachment slide in place of the vise. So you can mill off the hump using the lathe. Just be sure to snug up the gib screws so that the slide can't move.

IFF you happen to have the milling attachment, the compound rest assembly will fit onto the milling attachment slide in place of the vise. So you can mill off the hump using the lathe. Just be sure to snug up the gib screws so that the slide can't move.
I wish it came with the milling attachment!

There is not much metal to remove to fit the tool post. Can easily hand file the small area down, as the top slide is not hardened. I have a Palmgren 250V milling attachment but it does not make the lathe a Bridgeport mill. Have to use small cuts and watch the direction of the feed as you would not want the bit to snatch and take up all the backlash and break or ruin your part.
Pierre

I ordered the axa wedge tool post, whats a good source for buying tooling for it? Mainly will be working with aluminum if it makes much of a difference.

Enco, MSC, Wholesale Tools (on the Net as WTTools I think), Travers Tools.

Back