Just How Accurate Is A Modern Colchester Lathe

I think a quality machine from Taiwan will be more than accurate enough for myself. Though I am going to lurk around the forum for a bit longer before I make a hard decision on exactly which one.
The workshop needs a rejig before any new machines come in and I need to look at my budget for the total makeover and then see how much I have left over for a lathe upgrade.
The lathe actually gets more work than the mill, though that does change a bit depending on what project is in the pipeline. I don't make things for the sake of it - rather when a job needs doing I don't shy away from using the lathe to improve the quality of the solution.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

Mal

I wouldn't get too hung up on the specs. You can still make good parts with tight tolerances on a worn out machine.

Yes it's all in the skill of the operator.

FYI
Back in the 80's the Colchester RUNOUT Spindle Nose 0.0001"
There other lathe that RUNOUT Spindle Nose 0.00005" Dating back the 30's
Most work only needs RUNOUT Spindle Nose 0.001" Other work may need RUNOUT Spindle Nose 0.0005"

Dave

Get a 4 jaw, then dial all that radial runout away. I would only be concerned with minor spindle nose runout if using collets for very tight tolerances.

Also remember, your spindle accuracy changes as it heats up and the machine warms. Some claim sunlight through a window can affect the performance of a jig grinder, because it heats up and expands the cast iron base.

Well I bit the bullet and have ordered a Colchester, Triumph 2000 with a short bed (625mm between centres) so it fits nicely into my workshop.
I accept that a skilful machinist can make an accurate part on a rather average machine, a great guitarist can make a cheap guitar sound pretty darn good, if you take my point.
However I feel I need all the help I can get as I don't think I have forty years left in me to develop that lifetime of experience that some have already put in. I am a late comer to the party.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of making things on the lathe and mill for my various projects - so I guess I will try and learn as much as I can.

Well I bit the bullet and have ordered a Colchester, Triumph 2000 with a short bed (625mm between centres) so it fits nicely into my workshop.
I accept that a skilful machinist can make an accurate part on a rather average machine, a great guitarist can make a cheap guitar sound pretty darn good, if you take my point.
However I feel I need all the help I can get as I don't think I have forty years left in me to develop that lifetime of experience that some have already put in. I am a late comer to the party.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of making things on the lathe and mill for my various projects - so I guess I will try and learn as much as I can.

Well done, I'm sure you'll get a lot of satisfaction and fun from your purchase.

When I think back, I finished my 5 year apprenticeship in 1966, fitter & Turner / Toolmaker, and then I started learning. You have a lot to lean my friend, but you are also in a position where, to a large degree, you can choose what to learn and and what not to bother with. You will learn as you go only learning those processes that you need to know in order to achieve whatever it is you are trying to achieve, You will still learn a lot, and like many hobby machinists you have the opportunity to become very good at some of the processes.

Good luck.

Bob
I am the first to admit I know very little and will never stop learning. I can't even imagine what a person like yourself has learned in your lifetime of experience as a fitter and turner.

Still they say, one is never too old to learn something new.

Cheers

mal

Bob
I am the first to admit I know very little and will never stop learning. I can't even imagine what a person like yourself has learned in your lifetime of experience as a fitter and turner.

Still they say, one is never too old to learn something new.

Cheers

mal

That's the trick Mal, just keep learning, no one can know everything, And for everything you learn some one else will learn something different. When you come up with a project that you think might be outside your abilities, it probably is, but that's what this forum is for, start asking questions, A few, sometimes many will help guide you through.

There is usually more than one way to skin a cat. So, just because someone says you can't or shouldn't do something a certain way, there may be other ways that are viable. One has to be careful of course, especially when safety is involved, there is no glory in cutting corners for the sake of it.

Post your projects as you go, you will get both praise and sometimes criticism, but that is how we learn.

I have a few projects on the drawing board, well actually they're in my head, I almost never draw anything, just think it through and then go ahead and do it. I will however post my projects as I get into them with photos.

Well done malmac.
I scored a 15" Colchester a month ago. Still rewiring her down from 440v and changing out all of the oil.
I believe that this thread is true in every way.
I've got several reasons that the Col is here, as I continue to need to justify selling the Boye&Emmes.
1. She came to me very, very affordable. As I left towing the trailer I was watching to see if the police were gonna pull me over for theft!
2. I needed to be able to turn metric threads.
3. I wanted to have higher RPMs available.

I suspect that you will likely find her very enjoyable!
I have a contact who may have some parts available for your machine. If interested PM me for his contact info.

Daryl
MN

The big difference between a Colchester and an Asian import is that the Colchester is made to last in a production environment for at least 40 years. The Gamet spindle bearings in the square head colchesters were state of the art and were very expensive.

Back