Just getting started

The head stock isn’t wide enough, so I’ll be shopping for a good steady rest.
Will this lathe be too slow for carbide cutters?
Thx
Mike
Absolutely not but for threading you’ll likely be threading at your slowest speeds you’ll get a better finish with hss

Absolutely not but for threading you’ll likely be threading at your slowest speeds you’ll get a better finish with hss

Ok thx, I have been playing with the carbide tips doing some threading on old barrels, and have not been happy with the finish. I’ll definitely look at HSS. Any advice on improving my thread quality would be appreciated.
Thx
Mike

Ok thx, I have been playing with the carbide tips doing some threading on old barrels, and have not been happy with the finish. I’ll definitely look at HSS. Any advice on improving my thread quality would be appreciated.
Thx
Mike
I was having issues with threading guys on here really helped me. Even with going to hss i wasn’t completely happy with my threads. Again with some advice i upgraded my single phase lathe to 3 phase using a frequency drive. Using a frequency drive it opened some doors for me I’m now able to thread at 300 rpm with the aid of a limit switch and dynamic brake I can thread a tenon at 300 rpm so now I’m back to carbid.... kinda came full circle.

I was having issues with threading guys on here really helped me. Even with going to hss i wasn’t completely happy with my threads. Again with some advice i upgraded my single phase lathe to 3 phase using a frequency drive. Using a frequency drive it opened some doors for me I’m now able to thread at 300 rpm with the aid of a limit switch and dynamic brake I can thread a tenon at 300 rpm so now I’m back to carbid.... kinda came full circle.
Ok thx- I have lots of reading to do on this site.

Ok thx- I have lots of reading to do on this site.

That’s an understatement

Number one priority would be getting the twist out of the lathe bed. You don’t need a precision level. A carpenter level will get you close. Then you preform a 2 collar test to get the lathe dialed in. Oxtools on YouTube has an excellent video on the subject. I’d recommend watching as many of Toms videos as you can. He is my favorite YouTube machinist to learn from. This Old Tony is the most entertaining.

Carbide tooling is an involved matter. I’ll say this. The cheapest and best OD turning tools, generally speaking, for your lathe will be HSS. Mikey has two must read threads. “A boring Primer” and “hss models”

Keep an eye on eBay for deals. You’ll need an 0-3 micrometers, dial test indicator, drop indicator, and Noga holder. Don’t buy a cheap indicator holder. Get a Noga, trust me you don’t to deal with the headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back