Just getting started

Highlander44

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,
Just getting started in my garage with a newly purchased 12” Atlas lathe. It came without any accessories, and would like your advice! Would like to hear from you on what required gear I need....
Looking to find an independent 4 jaw chuck, a steady rest, And various carbide cutters to do inside and outside threads.

Welcome! Lots of Atlas owners here. Steadys come up for sale on Ebay, although some people build their own, or adapt one from another machine. Do you have a tool post yet?
-Mark

Welcome! Lots of Atlas owners here. Steadys come up for sale on Ebay, although some people build their own, or adapt one from another machine. Do you have a tool post yet?
-Mark

it did come with a newer tool Post, but is from China, so not sure of the quality. Was also going to look at the best way to mount chamber reamers if you have any advice.
Mike

I've only used straight shank machine reamers in the tailstock, but I would think they would be similar

A good thing with the Atlas is it should be a common spindle thread and tailstock taper. Probably 1-1/2"-8 and MT2, but I don' t have an Atlas so not sure on that.
Anyway assuming that is correct, tooling for that is quite common, new and used so you are not restricted to Atlas branded stuff, except for machine specific items like a steady or follower rest.

I haven't done any gunsmithing yet so don't know about specific tooling you may want. I think the spindle bore on those is small compared to most 12x36" so if you plan on doing barrel work the steady rest will be a high priority. 3 and 4 jaw chucks, and some sort of collet chuck will be handy. Also a good drill chuck with appropriate taper or adapter for the tailstock.
As far as the tool post, assuming it is a quick change similar to an Aloris there are a ton of Chinese copies, and many are quite well made.

Oh and welcome, I'm sure there will be many to answer your more specific questions.

I don't do gun work but for accurate smaller work I like to use my 5C Run-Tru type collet chuck. It provides good grip W/O damaging the work. Even with decent import collets I get good TIR. If I want to get extremely close I can use the Run-Tru adjustments while indicating the work. A 5C is limited to 1.125" diameter and you need to have collets very close to the same diameter as the work. They don't have a lot of range especially in the small diameters.

Welcome to the forum. We are a friendly bunch and will do whatever we can to help you out. Don't be afraid to ask any questions no matter how simple you may think it is. Someone will have the answer.

I have a craftsman 12x36 with a QCGB for threading. I replaced the two 48 teeth idler gears with a 52/44 combo gear so I can do metric threads.

I think that I have every accessory in the craftsman catalog except for a taper attachment. Most tapered barrels will fit through the spindle bore. You don't really need to do that because your lathe is long enough to chamber between centers. I haven't done any barrels yet. Doing some barrels will be my next project. This is one way that you can chamber between centers. Chamber reaming between centres (practicalmachinist.com)

This is what you will need to get full usage out of your lathe. You don't need to buy everything at once. Just buy what you need for the project at hand. Buy the best quality that you can afford.

A 3 jaw and a 4 jaw chuck. You can never have too many chucks. I have 3", 5" & 6" 3 jaw chucks and a 6" & two 8" 4 jaw chucks
Dead center for the headstock. The spindle has a MT3 taper. Live center for the tailstock. The tailstock has a MT2 taper.
A drill chuck for the tailstock.
Steady rest and follower rest.
At least 15 tool holders for your QCTP. You can never have too many tool holders. Tool holders can get expensive quickly. To save funds some of us have made norman style QCTP. That's what I did. My total cost for the tool post and enough material to make 20 tool holders was under $100. You can also make tool holders for your QCTP but you might need a mill to do that.
A spider for the outboard end of the spindle. I just finished making one. Not hard to do.
A boring head for tapering if you don't want to offset the tailstock. I made mine.
Collets. I have 3C collets and ER32 collets. I have never used the 3C collets that came with my lathe. ER32 collets are better because they don't block the spindle bore. You will need an MT2 adapter for the tailstock and an ER32 chuck for the spindle. I made mine.
Tool bits and boring bars. You mentioned carbide. You should consider using HSS tool bits. Forum member Mikey has a very long but excellent thread on grinding HSS tool bits in the beginner section. It is worth reading.
Micrometers, dial indicators with magnetic bases, calipers and inside telescoping gauges. A magnifying glass can be helpful at times.

A precision machinist level to level the bed of your lathe. This is an absolute must have to properly set up your lathe.

Thank you for all the info everyone! I’ve made a couple stops at a local store “modern tool” to help me source some of the equipment. Have also been keeping a lookout on eBay.
Thanks again
Mike

Highlander, I would look into the AR Warner company for your threading tooling they make indexable HSS you like not be able to thread at the speeds for carbide tooling. Are you gonna be able to chamber through the head stock on your lathe?

Highlander, I would look into the AR Warner company for your threading tooling they make indexable HSS you like not be able to thread at the speeds for carbide tooling. Are you gonna be able to chamber through the head stock on your lathe?

The head stock isn’t wide enough, so I’ll be shopping for a good steady rest.
Will this lathe be too slow for carbide cutters?
Thx
Mike

Back