Just Dragged Home A Craftsman Late Model 12".

38Bill

Registered
Registered
No photos yet, I want to dust it off a little first. I just picked up a nice, post 1967 101.28910 12" X 36" (54" bed) lathe today. The paint should clean up almost like new so it won't get painted. Just some cleaning and dusting and it should be good to go. The lathe came with some nice accessories. 2) three jaw chucks, a four jaw chuck, an interesting three jaw Bison live center chuck, taper attachment, steady rest, follow rest, milling attachment, brand new boring bar set, QCTP and tool holders, Jacobs head stock chuck and a bunch of other smaller misc stuff. The owner was down sizing to a mini lathe so he had no use for any of the larger tooling he had. Can't wait to get it set up in the shop.

Good luck with your new lathe don't forget to post some pictures.

Nice find. Right place at the right time!

Don't need any after photos as I won't be doing much to it. I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I spent some time out in the shop after dinner. This is what it looks like after I wiped off the dirt. Only needs a bench and a quick inspection and it should be good to go.

new%2012%20Lathe.jpg

new%2012%20Lathe.jpg

Last edited:
Don't skimp on the support bench. If all wood construction, 4x4 legs well braced and 1-1/2" bench top. Level the bench and bolt it to the floor. Paint the top at least, two coats, and let dry for a week before putting the lathe on it. If you can find and afford a drip pan, now is the time to install it. Then precision level the bed.

When I need something of size that is 1 1/2" thick, I laminate 2 pieces of good quality plywood (B-C). I use liquid nails, smeared evenly and quite a few screws from what will be the bottom, careful that they are long enough but not too long so as not to penetrate completely the top sheet. I do this while the sheets are on a smooth slab of concrete. Never been disappointed in the rigidity or stability of the finished product.

Maybe even better would be to use some Sturdi-Floor if you can get it in your area. It's a bit thicker than you can get standard plywood. If you don't think 2 pieces of 3/4 will be enough, put another piece on.

A long time back, there was a place here that build modular crew housing units for the oilfield, and had a plywood press. A buddy worked there and made up a piece of 2 1/2" thick ply for a shooting bench. Marvelously tough and rigid, but terribly heavy for a portable.:)

Wow Bill, that looks like new!

That's a very hefty chuck in the tailstock.
Nice machine, great find, congrats!

-brino

Back