Just bought this today

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Got it for $600. Amazon list them for $1350 and has outstanding reviews. Yes I know it's not red or blue, but it's a start for me.

I had him demo it for me and the welds looked very nice.

At this point I' going to start watching videos and asking a lot of beginner questions here, so please bear with me :)

20141019_162723.jpg20141019_162908.jpg

20141019_162723.jpg 20141019_162908.jpg

Looks good and it looks like it has a good quality gas gauge on it. Look forward to seeing some welds from it.

Jeff

Not the most hi tech of my tools, but I have found my welder to be invaluable at times. After watching the videos, get out some of your scrap steel and practice, practice, practice.

alloy,
Please don't be ashamed or apologize for your starting place.
We all start someplace.
I started TIG with a Lincoln PT225. It fit my budget and my needs at the time.
I got her cheap and couldn't have gotten more.
Now I wish I had more switches, controls, and amps.
Regardless, she fit my needs and budget.
You may grow out of her, or not.
Be proud that you are TIGing!

Daryl
MN

The guy I got it from said he gauge leaked on him so he recommended replacing it.

Honestly I'm trying to figure out what to buy to start practicing. I have an argon tank and a nice mask. It's not auto darkening, but it's already paid for.

Any recommendation you have no matter how basic will be greatly appreciated.

Would pics of the torch head help in your recommending consumables?

Hardly: I knew it will be a long time before I do anything acceptable, but practice is the key to doing anything well and I'm willing to pay my dues.

Uglydog: For me having been making chips for 20 years this is a new experience starting into something as a complete newbie. It's kind of humbling. At work everyone comes to me to solve machining problems. Sometimes half my day is solving others problems. And on Tuesday they are giving me a helper to train from square one. She's bright and has done well doing assembly, so with the lack of available machinists they decided to train someone from the ground up.

So now I'm the one asking the questions like a new kid fresh out of school. Well..........actually a new kid out of welding school has it over me. I'm going to have to school myself on this one.

Last edited:
it's never too late to learn!!!
what materials do you plan on welding?
you will need different gas mixtures and tungsten's for different materials.

it's never too late to learn!!!
what materials do you plan on welding?
you will need different gas mixtures and tungsten's for different materials.

I have nothing I plan on welding now, but in the past it would have been really great to be able to weld. I imagine I will be able to do more complex projects in the future after I am able to actually weld and combine it with machining.

I got an AC/DC machine so it I ever get there I could weld light aluminum.

My girlfriends son is in welding school now and he will graduate in a few months. He got in a little trouble and has cleaned up his act now and seems to be doing well. I got a lot of help when I started machining and I look at letting him use the tig for practice and maybe do a few jobs with it is a way for me to pay it forward and help a young man start on a career. And I hope he will be willing to give me a helping hand to get started. I'm not counting on that, but hopefully he will. For now I'm going to rely on myself and all the great people here to give me a hand. I've already watched a few videos, and they really help.

Any suggestions on training material will be very much appreciated.

There is no question that you cannot feel free to ask anytime. The 256 has a lot of great reviews and they do seem to be holding up pretty good lately too. I think when they started using Hitachi electronics they seemed to be a much better product. So go out and start tinkering with the knobs and understanding exactly what they all do and why. That will give you some question to ask and that is what we are here for. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask and get hurt or damage your machine. So ask till you completely understand the function of every knob and switch on the front. we will help guide you on any question you have.

Bob

I'm glad everyone is so helpful.

The model number is Everlast PowerTig 200DX AC DC.

I've been watching vids on how to teach yourself how to tig weld. He shows the first step is to run "stringer" welds with no filler rod. Then when your comfortable with that start using filler. What rod should I be looking for to use on mild steel for practice?

I've ordered a pair of tig gloves and a new flow meter. Hopefully they will be here this next week and I can start playing with it this next weekend.

Last edited:
I'm glad everyone is so helpful.

The model number is Everlast PowerTig 200DX AC DC.

I have a very similar machine, the Everlast PowerPro 256. It is a good machine and will make some nice welds. If you have ever welded with oxy/acetylene, TIG welding is similar. Get some nice thin, soft goat skin welding gloves. They are better for TIG than thick heavy leather gloves. I use leather arm "sleeves" too. If you ever sunburn your arms while TIG welding, you'll never forget it. Don't ask how I know...

I bought large 1/8" tungstens thinking I would need them, but 95% of your projects will use a 1/16" or 3/32" tungsten. 2% lanthanated is a good all around tungsten for both steel and aluminum, and they are very reasonably priced and last a long time. Same with the welding rods, use 1/16" or 3/32" in steel or aluminum.

Look up "weldingtipsandtricks.com". Jody has IMO the best TIG welding tutorial videos anywhere on the net. Spend a night or two watching his videos, and you'll be up and running in no time.

Have fun!

GG

Back