JT 2 1/2 arbor

Wait...do you suppose that the spindle taper is actually MT 2 (I measured very quickly last night and the opening is about .700") and that it originally came with an arbor installed that was MT 2 to JT 2 1/2? So, in essence, because of an arbor, it had a JT 2 1/2 "spindle nose"?

I think I just figured out what my Sunday project is going to be...

That does make more sense (female 2MT taper in the spindle). I also have never seen nor heard of a JT male to JT male arbor.

Since the spindle is hollow, its very likely that it takes a Morse taper arbor. 0.7" opening indicates MT2. The other end of the arbor can hold whatever Jacobs taper. That's what I was trying to say in my first post above. So if this is the case, you can buy a MT arbor with a more common Jacobs taper and get away from the JT 2-1/2 problem. Get an arbor with a JT that matches that of a chuck that you already have, or buy a matching chuck. The previous owner likely kept the JT 2-1/2 arbor because they had a matching chuck. It's a bit peculiar that the drill press data plate lists the Jacobs Taper rather than the Morse Taper. There are cheaper drill presses with solid spindles that have only Jacobs Tapers.

That's what I was trying to say in my first post above.

I applogize to you and the others who were saying this. I got so hung up on the data plate saying JT 2 1/2 that I didn't really think it all through. I'm going to see if there is anything MT 2 at work tomorrow and see how it fits. Hopefully I can put this to bed and get an arbor and chuck and start using this thing.

Last edited:
Update:

I feel happy and stupid at the same time (mostly happy). I borrowed an MT 2 arbor from work, and what do you know? The spindle is MT 2. Thanks to everyone who wore me down until it finally sunk in. I wasn't being obstinate, I blame it on a mixture of ignorance and, well...another dose of misplaced confidence. I am frustrated that I could have been using this DP for a few months now, but oh well. Another lesson learned.

I hope my foolishness can help someone else out; maybe the mods should move this to the Drill Press sub-forum? Suffice to say, I am no longer wanting a JT 2 1/2 arbor! o_O

Thank you VERY much to everyone who helped me get this figured out. This place truly is "The Friendly Machinist Forum"!

Last edited:
Update:

I feel happy and stupid at the same time (mostly happy). I borrowed an MT 2 arbor from work, and what do you know? The spindle is MT 2. Thanks to everyone who wore me down until it finally sunk in. I wasn't being obstinate, I blame it on a mixture of ignorance and, well...another does of misplaced confidence. I am frustrated that I could have been using this DP for a few months now, but oh well. Another lesson learned.

I hope my foolishness can help someone else out; maybe the mods should move this to the Drill Press sub-forum? Suffice to say, I am no longer wanting a JT 2 1/2 arbor! o_O

Thank you VERY much to everyone who helped me get this figured out. This place truly is "The Friendly Machinist Forum"!
Have you got a chuck for it?

I do not. I'll need to do some shoppin'

One of us could certainly move the thread to the Drill Press forum. But you would need to request instead of just suggest it. I think that it would be a good idea, as you are probably not the first one to encounter a machine with a quite misleading spec's tag.

One of us could certainly move the thread to the Drill Press forum. But you would need to request instead of just suggest it.

OK, I am requesting this thread be moved to the Drill Press forum. If there is a more formal process I'm supposed to follow, please let me know.

Back