JT 2 1/2 arbor

schmidty13

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was given a decent 16 speed Taiwanese made floor drill press. I'd like to use it but the spindle is JT 2 1/2 and the previous owner kept the arbor. Does anyone have an arbor -with or without a drill chuck- laying around that they'd like to part with?

Moderator's Comment: This thread was originally in the "Machine Accessories Wanted" forum. Toward the end of this thread, the conclusion was reached that the drill press in question had originally come with a 2MT to 2-1/2JT arbor installed in the spindle. And the factory erroneously made up the specifications tag to say that the press came with a (male) 2-1/2JT spindle. But it took a while to reach that conclusion, in part because Jacobs apparently discontinued the 2-1/2JT taper more than 70 years ago. So there was first the question as to whether 2-1/2JT even existed. And in part because at least one other such machine was reported as on hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's a Jacobs 2 1/2?
The reason I ask is that I'm looking at an older Jacobs catalog and there is no 2 1/2 listed. There is
a 2, a 2 short and a 3.

(Not my post, just an illustration that they are out there)

Here's a chart I found on the website of H.H. Roberts Machinery. As you can see, it's very close to a JT 6, but is it close enough?:

1606460394631.png

Last edited:
If the drill press spindle is hollow, to take an arbor, it would typically be Morse taper. The end of the Morse taper arbor could have a Jacobs taper for the drill chuck. Obviously the Morse taper has to match the spindle; but you then have choices for which Jacobs taper to have on the other end of arbor. Which could be picked to match a drill chuck that you already have, or that is readily available. Some drill presses don't need an arbor, directly having a Jacobs taper on the end of the spindle. Are you sure that you need a JT arbor?

If I'm understanding you correctly you're saying the taper in the spindle is a Jacobs 2-1/2. Al the Taiwanese drill presses I have use either a #2 or #3 Morse in the spindle, and a Jacobs taper on the chuck. Have you actually measured the spindle taper, or are you going on the word of the previous owner?

In any case according to a discussion on another board the Jacobs 2-1/2 is nearly identical to the Morse #6. They are slightly different in length, but only a little over .0001" difference in the taper. Here's a link to that discussion:

2 1/2 Jacobs Taper (practicalmachinist.com)

Yes I'm sure, and the link you posted is the same one I did. :) It's very close to a JT 6, but the OP said this:

I received the JT6 chuck from Enco and it does not fit on my drill press. It appears to be close but those few thousands of an inch matter. I can feel a slight rock if I push it side to side after mounting it. I'm debating whether to try something irreversable like lapping the nose of the spindle or grinding the chuck to be JT2 1/2.

To prove I'm not insane:

1606491612082.png

In any case according to a discussion on another board the Jacobs 2-1/2 is nearly identical to the Morse #6. They are slightly different in length, but only a little over .0001" difference in the taper. ...

From the table posted above, a Jacobs taper 2-1/2 is similar to a Jacobs 6. A Morse 6 is big -- 7.25" long, versus JT 2.5 at 1.055" long.

Unfortunately, it would appear that Jacobs quit making chucks to fit a 2-1/2JT sometime prior to 1961. I have a price list and catalog for that year that lists at least one chuck with 0JT through 6JT plus 2shortJT, 33JT and EJT only. Your best bet may be to un-install your drill press spindle and take it to a shop and have it re-ground.

Well, if that works, it would certainly be easier and cheaper.

Back