Journey to Journeyman series using my Atlas 618. I made a drawbar spacer on my lathe

jster1963

Active User
Registered
drawbar spacer.JPG

This is the drawbar spacer I made on my Atlas 618 lathe. Once again guys I'm proud of myself. I know this is not a NASA rocket, but I'm so happy with how this turned out, especially with the huge handicap I had on this project. I discovered it when the part was almost complete. (I won't tell what it was yet so I don't ruin it for the guys who want to see it on video.) I was so frustrated, I almost thought about taking up some easy hobby, like golf;-)

This is the second project in my series "Journey to Journeyman" where I'm using my Atlas 618 to try to become a profecient hobby machinist. If you want to see me make this, you can watch my You Tube video. I don't usually make long videos, but this one is 32 mins. If you are interested in seeing all of the mistakes I made in this project, here is the link. Thank you......
http://youtu.be/k8irEo-8F9w

drawbar spacer.JPG

I look forward to watching! Again, kudos for posting! I saw two minutes for now, until I finish working hah hah.. Great safety reminders...

Bernie

Jster, I enjoyed your video, and especially the reminder about safety. Regarding your shop coat you could shorten the sleeves :).

I have the same lathe as you do and was wondering why you were having so much difficulty turning the spacer. Well a loose head stock would be a big part of that for sure. You are lucky that big bad things didn't happen.

I drooled over your recent purchases..that wasn't fair.

Keep at it and looking forward to your next video.

Much success

David

Jster, you have a real good attitude about your machining and journey. I am sure you will get to where you are going.

I enjoyed your most recent video. I do have a question. Is there any reason you did not put a taper (maybe 45 degrees) on the end instead of a step? It would have been self centering.

Keep up the good work.

Paul

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing you could try for lubrication is bacon fat. I personally have never tried it, but I have heard of others having success. That is if you don't mind the smell. If your wife likes it she may even supply the eggs.

Good luck

Paul

Nice job, never seen your videos before. Nice series of videos, informational and fun to watch.

David S: Thank you very much! I'm so glad I didn't have a BIG problem too. Holy cow that loose headstock could have been a doozy! Also, sorry about the tools.....nah, no I not LOL;-) I have some tools now, but very little "know how"! I sure hope to use them soon. Thanks again....

Fastback (Paul): Thank you. And the reason I didn't do a 45 deg is..... I didn't think of it. That would have been the way to go! That is how the real one is made. So why didn't I think of that? Oh well, it's the big fish that got away. I sure hope I don't do this on every project. Thanks again....

Andre: I decided to do this series because I learn better from video than reading. So I hope other novices can see they can do this too, mistakes and all. I just hope they don't make the same mistakes that I do. That's what I'm hoping some get out of this series. Thanks you so much for watching and I hope to be making something cool soon.......

Love your videos, I really like your honesty. Keep it up.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

jster1963,

Cool vid. I am also just starting out with a Craftsman 6" 101.07301. I also did a recent refurbishing, I hesitate to call it a restoration because I painted mine black. Checked my head stock all is well for now. But I just started using my carriage feed more than before and the lead screw mounting screws the 4 that hold it against the bed loosened up. It stopped feeding and i couldn't figure it out started wiggling things and found it. Just went through the whole machine and everything else is tight.

I guess its a good idea to check these things more often, especially after a refurb.

Working on a Oscillating engine now from mrpete222 vids going to take some pic for a project thread and maybe a few vids also.

Good to see you at work. I am having lost of fun. How about you?

Edit: Doused everything with oil also. Nothing works like a well oil machine they say.

Ron

Nice job on the videos. I've watched all of them and I really admire your enthusiasm and positive attitude, even when things go wrong.

Did you replace the broken bull gear and back gear yet? If not, I might have those parts kicking around in my drawer of extra parts. I can check and see.

Back