Johnson Stamp Press

Handy4563

Registered
Registered
I have a Johnson stamp press I recently got. The flywheel was off the press and the manual clutch apart. I was told they had the part built up and need help on fitting the part and if anything is missing. The press has no model or serial number, just owner plate with their info on it. I have taken picture of the part and and where it needs to be installed. Any help would be appreciated.

With no pictures, I'm going to take a guess here. I assume the dog broke right at the release knife notch, this is the most common failure point, and is kind of a shear pin to keep other parts from breaking on a jamb up.

The major components are:
The dog
The dog spring
The hub that the dog slips into
The release knife
And the trip rod.
There are one or two other extension springs depending on the press.

Normally all you have to do is pull the flywheel, take out the broken parts, slip the new dog and dog spring in, put the flywheel back on and you're ready to run again.

The dog should be very free in the hub, if it binds, then normally a little filing on the edges is all it takes.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, please ask away.

Oh, and keep your body parts out of the working areas of the press, they do a fine job of severing fingers and crushing hands.

This does help! I have the dog, but not the dog spring. The fly wheel was off the press and the dog removed. The spring must have been lost. I tried to attach the pictures, but your email said I needed to post 5 times before pictures would attach. The rest of the linkage seems OK. Thank-you!

Sent from my Venue8 3840 using Tapatalk

So what are you planning on using the press for? I have always wanted one, but I can't figure out why I need one.

IMG_0298.JPG IMG_0299.JPG
So what are you planning on using the press for? I have always wanted one, but I can't figure out why I need one.
My wife makes metal jewelry and uses a lot of 1" round disks. Also I do blacksmithing might make some dyes for leaf viens

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen a dog shimmed up like that before. The shim is on the working side of the dog and I'm going to guess it's going to get beat up pretty quick. Pretty hard to get a sense of scale from your pics, but I'm guessing that is about a 5 ton to 10 ton bench press, so not a huge amount of rotating mass.

I have normally made dogs out of S7 or A6 tool steel, hardened & drawn to about a R45C, but car or truck axle material would work also. Hardfacing the working edge might be an option also, but I have never tried it.

Would love to see some pics of your wife's jewelry.

I got 3 pictures the same. Will try to post the other 2. I need the dog spring as the man who gave me the machine said there was not one when he got it.

Sent from my Venue8 3840 using Tapatalk

It's not going to work very well without one. :)

Sound like it's time for a run to the hardware store. Get a pretty stiff spring that will fit the hole in the dog.

I'll edit your post and delete the extra pictures.

Back