Jet Lathe Motor

Onequikz

Registered
Registered
Hello all, looking for some advice on a new to me lathe. I recently purchased a Jet BDB-1340a, unfortunately the motor was damaged in shipping. I bought this from someone who sells Jet products that are damaged. Anyhow I tried purchasing an original motor for this lathe, but they are on back order with no idea when they’ll be available. Another problem is Jet doesn’t list any specs for the motor other than 2hp 220v single phase.

Anyone have one of these lathes that can provide rpm, size etc? At this time I’m not interested in going to 3phase with VFD.

TIA
Matt

Attachments

• 05F100B7-6743-41C8-9124-7B83A4ED122E.jpeg
    05F100B7-6743-41C8-9124-7B83A4ED122E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 36
Hello and Welcome :)

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to upgrade to a three phase with VFD. Search @mksj for tons of great info on how to do the conversion.

John

The motor specs should be on the motor frame, you also need to decide if you want single phase or 3 phase and how you are going to operate the run controls. Does it have a control box, and is is setup for single or 3 phase? What is the bore of the motor Pulley? If it is imperial then most likely it is a 145 frame motor, if metric then and IEC 90s or 90L. Can give suggestions once you have more information on the motor frame type. Most likely it is a 1750 RPM motor, so you would want to replace it either with a TEFC or TENV motor.

That’s the bad side, I didn’t receive a motor and the guy I bought it from had already discarded the motor before I could see it.
It is a single phase unit, and I would like to stay single phase, motor pulley bore is 19mm.

Thanks for the info

The exact details don't really matter. You want a 2 HP, single phase motor. It is most likely ~1750rpm (4 pole motor), and is pedestal (base) mounted. Check a few motor supplier web sites (per MKSJ's recommendations) and see if you can find one that will fit in the space provided. Most likely you'll need to drill new mounting holes (not a big deal). In all likelihood you'll end up with a better motor (such as a TEFC - totally enclosed fan cooled), than if you tried to get the official replacement (and a whole lot cheaper). Suggest you confirm if the pully bore really is 19mm or 3/4" (the difference is 0.002") - it matters if you intend to use the same pulley. You may find a solution that works better if you change the motor and the pulley (perhaps you'll find a motor that works perfectly - but then you may need to get a different pully).

That's a nice looking lathe and if the only thing wrong is a missing motor I'd say you scored if the price was right.

It's currently in production

JET® 13" x 40" Belt Drive Bench Metal Lathe | JET® Metal Working Equipment (jettools.com)

so the manual including wiring diagrams are right here.

Microsoft Word - M-321360A BDB-1340A Operating Manual - Rev H1.doc (jettools.com)

replacement motor is this one.

Jet Parts 321321 Motor (2HP,1 Ph,60HZ 230V only for BDB-1 340A) … For Jet electric sander and polisher (toolpartspro.com)

Which looks like a pretty standard unit to me.

But....

If you go with a three phase motor you can have variable speed and a whole lot of other features not available with a single phase. The VFD (variable frequency drive) needed for this takes single phase power so technically the machine is still single phase, just using a three phase motor.

Look around on here and decided if it's something you want to do (spoiler, you do want to do it) since you're already replacing a missing motor.

John

You are very limited with single phase motors, looking at the manual the capacitors would need to be on the side of the motor and not on the top (or very low profile). I also found different listings for the dual pulley and the shaft size did not match other references. Original motor has a 2.25"-3.88" 2 step pulley I see both an indication that it is either 3/4" or 19 mm, but the pulley part number pulls up one with a bigger shaft size. Toolpartspro above lists 2 OEM motors in stock, might also see if they have the pulley.
Might also look at this motor, but would need to download the motor drawing and see if it fits.

Three phase motor would allow a lot more choices and the cost with a VFD would not be much more, performance wise it would be smoother.

1000 bucks with the Newall DRO included, it is brand new lathe, minus the motor. I tried ordering through tool parts pro but they are back ordered with no eta. I can make a motor fit, mainly just wanted to confirm it is in fact a 1725 rpm motor. I called Jet and they had to email an engineer in China to get the specs, but I have yet to hear back.
Thank you all for the information

If I do decide to go VFD, any suggestions for motor and VFD?

I tried, I have Jet GHB-1340 lathe 1PH 220V. Since the power from the motor is a belt there is a good chance it is the same motor.
Unfortunatly there is no visible data plate on the motor. It would be a major project for me to move the lathe out from the wall and disassemble to get at the other side of the motor to look for a data plate.

1000 bucks with the Newall DRO included, it is brand new lathe, minus the motor. I tried ordering through tool parts pro but they are back ordered with no eta. I can make a motor fit, mainly just wanted to confirm it is in fact a 1725 rpm motor. I called Jet and they had to email an engineer in China to get the specs, but I have yet to hear back.
Thank you all for the information

If I do decide to go VFD, any suggestions for motor and VFD?

$1000

:you suck:

You need to turn us on to this supplier...............

John

Back